Making Crochet Doilies

Category Patterns
These beautiful old time decorations can be used as furniture protectors and a variety of other things. This guide is about making crochet doilies.

I recently posted a pumpkin made from plastic canvas, and folks have been asking about the doily I "deconstructed". So, with the original gone, I redid it and here is the pattern.

Total Time: about 40 minutes

Yield: 1

• 2 oz yarn of your choice
  • hook, size J
  • scissors

1. Cast on and chain 12. Join.
  2. Row 1: Chain 2 and make a double crochet in that stitch and make 2 in each chain around for 24. Join.
  3. Ad

4. Row 2: Chain 2 and make two in that chain, then 1 in the next, around for 36. Join.
  5. Row 3: Chain 4 and skipping 1 stitch, slip stitch in the next one. Do this around for 17 loops. Make the 18th loop with a chain 2 and a double crochet so your joining stitch is on the top of the last loop.
  6. Row 4: Chain 4 and slip stitch in the center of each of the previous rows' loops. This gives you 18 again. Finish the 18th like you did the other, so its center is really the center.
  7. Row 5: Chain 5 and slip stitch to the center of each of the loops around. Join.
  8. Row 6: For the last row, chain 2 and make a double in the first chain for a shell pattern. Lay it down and slip stitch in the 3rd of the 5 chains from the previous row. This is why you needed a center stitch and 3 is the center of 5.
  9. Ad

10. Make 2 per the five chain space around and join.
  11. I had some issues with ruffling so this is an alternative last row.
  12. Chain 3 and make 2 double crochets for the shell. It's bigger and you can make just one per five space.
  13. This was made for the base of a pumpkin I embellished last year. I am sending a photo of the pumpkin, but it had a straw trivet under it, which is why I made the doily.
  14. So there you go. I don't have any photos for the steps to share as I deconstructed them both and I don't want to have to recreate it again.
  15. Ad

N-JOY!!

First of all let me say I did not come up with this pattern. I got it off the internet. But I did modify it as I didn't like the way rows 30-36 were done in the original pattern (too much tying off and fastening back on 24 pineapples).

This would be for a moderately advanced crocheter (hooker). I've been crocheting for more than 30 years and made probably 100 of this type of thing and given most of them away. This one goes to my niece that just got married in October. Hope you like it Megan. It was fun to make.

This took me much longer than any I've made in the past as I started it in August, but I was taking chemo at the time, developed neuropathy and couldn't crochet for about 3 months due to stiffness in my fingers. The average crocheter could finish it in her spare time in a couple of weeks.

I'm not going to give you row by row instructions since I got it online. It's available that way. Just type in the title,"lacy accent doily." Mine is not as large as the pattern said it would be. But I crochet tightly and only use a size 7 steel hook.

I will say that for the rows I modified all I did was to keep going in the same manner as the pineapple was started just increasing a couple of chains on each row between the pineapple and the shell to allow the doily to get larger without curling. Questions? email me

Total Time: 15 hours??? not really sure

Yield: 1

This would be pretty in many colors. I chose white to make sure it would go with whatever room she put it in

• 1 not really sure how much crochet thread
  • 1 size 7 steel hook steel hook or size you like to work with