Making New Candles From Used Ones

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts

The finished lit candle.Hello, ThrifyFun! It's been a long time since I've been here. My father passed away this year, and it's been a rough time for me. One of our daily traditions and incredible comforts in this time is to light a candle for Dad every evening in front of a photo of him. At first, my mum and I were spending so much money on the mass amounts of candles. Soon enough, we realized it was best to turn the used candles into new ones. If you enjoy scented candles, follow the additional step to add your favourite aroma. My father's favourite aroma was Jasmine!

Total Time: 1 to 2 hours, including dry time, depending on size

Yield: 1 candle

Source: My mother

• double boiler
  • old candle wax from used candles (I used 4 finished jar candles)
  • 1 container from old candle or 1 glass jar
  • cotton twine (I used the string I bake chicken with)
  • 1 metal nut or bolt
  • 1 chopstick or similar type of rod
  • scissors
  • optional: essential oil in your favourite scent
Supplies for making new candles from used ones.

1. Bring water to boil in double boiler. Over medium heat, add the old candle containers (do not submerge) until wax is fully melted. Scoop out any black bits using a spoon and discard. Pour melted wax into one glass container or jar. If you'd like a scented candle, add a few drops of your favourite essential oil into the melted wax. If you like a strong scent, add a few more drops.
  2. Melting candle wax inside a jar.

3. Cut enough string so it's longer than the container. Tie the string to metal bolt. Dip the string in melted wax so it's completely soaked from the metal bolt to a little above the candle wax surface.
  4. Adding a new wick with a weight.

5. Tie the unwaxed portion of the string onto your rod. Lay the rod across the top of the container. This will keep your candle wick fully centered and straight.
  6. Using a stick to keep the wick straight.

7. Remove container from warm water. Allow to rest at room temperature until the wax is fully hardened.
  8. Using a stick to keep the wick straight.

9. Trim off any excess from wick.
  10. Cutting the wick short.

11. Light and enjoy. Don't forget to keep it after it's fully used. The lovely cycle can continue. :)
  12. The finished lit candle.

Crafts Candle Making How ToNovember 7, 2021
🎂
🎄
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-New-Candles-From-Used-Ones-1.html