Condiments & SaucesCanning

Making Sweet Stickles

I was making stickles (pickles). After I'd followed the recipe to the 3rd day, I boiled the stickles for 30 minutes. It said to pack them in hot jars, seal, and put in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. It did not say to put any liquid over the stickles. Now I'm second guessing what "packing" means. I imagine they are sealed now, without liquid. What do I do?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You did things right, according to this recipe. You put the cucumbers in the jar, cover, and process in a water bath.

http://www.cook  et-stickles.html

This was the link to the recipe

Thanks. I've never seen a jar of pickles without liquid. I followed the recipe, but... It didn't turn out as expected.

You should probably go to the sentence (in your recipe) just above the "pack them in hot jars" and see if it tells you to drain the liquid that you boiled your sickles in. It will also probably tell you to leave 1/2" head space and that means above the contents of the jar liquid/stickles.

I'm not sure what you can do with what you have but maybe a more experienced canner will be able to help you with that part. You could open the jars and see what the contents look like - maybe you can salvage them in some way.
I'm sure you have your own recipes but here is a link to one my daughter used.

http://mylidsar  et-stickles.html

There should be liquid....fill to about 1/2 inch from the top of jar.

I have reread a couple of answers and I'm not sure if everyone has canned pickles or vegetables before. Has anyone ever seen a container of pickles that were not in liquid? I do not make stickles but my daughter does and she adds the sweet liquid and they are very good but I cannot imagine them without the liquid..

Stickles are just pickles with added sweetener, so why would they not have liquid? This recipe just does not spell it out - probably because the writer expected people doing this to know why the liquid was made in the first place. It is probably not a good recipe for first time cooks to use (no insult intended).

I love pickles and since I grow them I can pickles quite frequently and as I said before - stickles are just sweet pickles but a very good way to use "fat" cucumbers. Many of my acquaintances would really be disappointed if they did not get their annual gift of "pickles" and often call to see when the gift will arrive.

Here is a site that I use and it has very clear instructions although it does not have a recipe for stickles. Second link is a clearer recipe for stickles.

http://extensio  ckles#section-30

http://www.cook  les-pickles.html

http://www.josc  stickle-pickles/

When my grandmother made stickles she would pack her jars tight. Afterwards, she added some liquid to the jars before sealing them. We then boiled the jars in the boiling water bath and set aside to seal.

If you have just finished making your stickles you might be able to save them. You would need to make the liquid again and boil it for 10 to 15 minutes. Afterwards, open your jars and add the liquid. Do not fill the jars to the top with the liquid. Clean the mouth of the jar, add a new lid and seal. Repeat the boiling water bath.

I did it, and it worked. Even though I'd already sealed them without liquid, I took off the old the kids and poured the liquid over the stickles and resealed them with new lids and did the water bath. They taste good! Yay! Thanks!

Thanks for posting back your results! I am very happy they turned out like you wanted as I, personally, really do not like to do all that work and get "bad" results.
Here's to more great "Stickles" in your future!!