Making a Cookbook Cover

Category Miscellaneous

Protecting that precious information can be achieved by making a book cover. This guide is about making a cookbook cover.

Need a wipe clean and attractive cookbook holder? You can also make these for gifts! Take very heavy gauge clear vinyl (usually available at a fabric store from a big roll). Cut it to fit your largest cookbook open flat on your counter, and add 2 inches on the left and right side. Sew a long skinny tube on each side, making sure that the tube is big enough to hold a row of marbles or flower weights. Fill the tubes with the marbles and sew the ends. Trim off any excess vinyl.

This will keep your books clean, and the marbles keep the book flat. I even use it when cooking from a recipe clipping to keep it clean on my counter. Just roll up when not in use!

Source: I saw it in a gift catalog years ago and have made several since then.

By GinnyW from Murrells Inlet, SC

I need some help! I had a cookbook made and there was a misunderstanding and I did not get the picture on the cover of the book. I had the cover laminated so it would stay clean. Is there any way I could put something on the laminate to make it look a little nicer? Now it is all white and is really plain. I have 42 people that have ordered the book and I don't want to disappoint them.

By Judy from Nampa, ID

Answers

I would think you could decoupage a paper picture or fabric to the laminated cover. Try one book first before you go all out with it Decoupage is easy. Buy Mod-Podge or other brand in a craft store, use a small paint brush and brush decoupage all over your front cover. Place picture or fabric on top, and brush more decoupage over this item. Decoupage will dry clear. Allow to dry. Good luck!

Place an adhesive backed clear plastic pocket on the cover and add a picture inside. The recipients can put a picture of themselves or grandma etc into the pocket.