Making a Crochet Beaded Necklace

Category Jewelry
Combining beads with crochet can be used to make lovely necklaces. This is a guide about making a crochet beaded necklace.

My mother made me a necklace back in the '60s or early '70s. It was a rope of "pearls" long enough to wrap 2 or 3 times around my neck, fastened together at the ends, no clasp or fastener. She said it was crocheted, but no thread showed. I would love to have the pattern to make them for my daughters.

By a. newman from port orange fl

Answers

If you crochet well, here's the answer. Put several hanks of beads on your crochet thread. I use white hand quilting thread most of the time. Single crochet 4 beads in succession. Form into a circle and close with a sc. Then, put your crochet hook under the first bead, move the bead aside, pull another bead down and sc it. Continue doing this until you reach the length of rope you want. Close off as you would any crochet project. You can then sew the beginning and end together to make a necklace, or add a fringe to make it a belt. The book, PEARLS PLAIN AND FANCY will give you a tutorial.