Making a Magnetic Spice Rack

Category Kitchen
Making a Magnetic Spice Rack
Having your spices easily accessible makes cooking even easier. This is a guide about making a magnetic spice rack.

Buy as many of those little long narrow mesh baskets used for organizing silverware in drawers as needed to hold your spices. Attach a 1 inch wide strip of solid wood or metal to the top back side of your basket.

Using industrial strength glue, attach 2 or 3 inch "rare earth magnets" to your strip. These are cheap and readily available from American Science Surplus and Supply online, among other places. These are not the little magnets you get at the craft store to make refrigerator magnets! They are small but have about 5 lb or more of holding power each, depending on the size you get.

Now your baskets can be attached on your refrigerator or a decorative magnetic bulletin board hung on the wall. I have one wider basket by my stove which holds olive oil, soy sauce, etc and the rest on the side of my refrigerator for dry spices.

There are a lot of cool ideas right now about putting your spices on a magnetic board, cookie sheet or the fridge. But they are pretty spendy. So, armed with some all purpose glue, magnetic strips, felt pen and 2/1.00 tins from the Dollar Tree, I went to town.

I cut the strips to fit the backs of the tins, which were magnetic but not strong. I glued them on and weighed them down to let them dry overnight. This is important.

I used strips I got from Amazon but I thought they were magnetic on the tops but they were just on the bottom. So, I trimmed them to have a strip on the top, bottom, and middle of the back of the tin. The shot you see here is what I did with the little "odd" pieces left over when I ran out of enough of the strips to make 3 on the back of them all.

Then, I trimmed what I accidentally let overhang, filled and labeled them with my marker. There are labels online that you can print but, sadly, I didn't have any adhesive paper so I just did my own printing. Filled, labeled, displayed and they are done.

Important: These are cheap little containers. They will keep your spices in but if you grab and pull by the caps, they probably won't. Get used to grabbing by the space just below the cap and you will win the day.

NJOY!

Source: Seen on Facebook and Pinterest and Thrifty Fun

Link: These labels are free to download at this link: http://www.landeeseelandeedo.com/2017/03/kitchen-printable-spice-labels.html

We have a small apartment and very little cabinet space.
Does anyone know how I can make a spice rack that is magnetized and can be hung on the side of the refrigerator? It could be three long racks. This would free up so much space in my kitchen cabinet.

By Donna

Use tins to put your spices in, then simply put three strong strips of magnet on your fridge. The tins will be up and out of your way in a flash! You can get mini tins with or without see through windows in them through the restaurant supply stores or search online.

I recommend you get the kind with a screw on top. Pulling the top off a container with spices inside can sometimes be a bit messy.

Get a metal magnetic plate and attach it to your wall. Take new test tubes and small corks to close the test tubes. You'll have just enough spice in each tube to last awhile and put magnets on test tubes with hot glue. You can also use baby food jars or smaller.

Cost Plus World Market and other places sell small round metal containers with magnetic bottoms and clear or solid screw tops. You could stick them right onto your fridge, I think!

I had a friend who loves to cook and bake who was in the same boat - lots of spices (etc) but too little room. So I searched the internet for Do It Yourself home spice racks and listed all the ideas on a single page (here's the url: http://pinteres  -spice-rack-diy/ )

If you find an image you like, just click and it will enlarge the picture and if you click the picture again it will take you directly to the original website that has the How-To instructions.

Hope this helps!

~CraftyWitch~