Making a Rainbow Cake

My daughter and I wanted to make a fun cake for her birthday. I wanted there to be a hidden surprise when it was cut into, so I decided to transform a boxed cake mix into a rainbow cake!

• white boxed cake mix batter, prepared according to instructions
  • food coloring
  • small bowls
  • cake pans

Directions:

1. Mix your cake batter according to package instructions.
  2. Determine how many colors you want to use. Divide batter equally into that number of small bowls. Color each bowl of batter.
  3. Prepare cake pan with non-stick spray.
  4. Pour first colored batter into very center of the cake pan. Repeat by pouring next color directly into the center of the first color. As each new color is poured in, it will displace the colors added before it.
  5. Bake according to package directions. Allow to cool and remove from the pan.
  6. If making a layer cake, remove the domed top and cut cake evenly in the middle to create two layers.
  7. Frost the top of the bottom layer and stack top layer. Frost entire cake and decorate as desired.

By lalala... from Port Orchard, WA

5 More Solutions

Cut or tear cake into small pieces; divide into thirds and place in medium bowls. Sprinkle strawberry gelatin over one bowl of cake, lime gelatin over another, and orange gelatin over the third.

Videos

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I just had to share my latest masterpiece with all of you. I am so proud of myself. I like to create birthday cakes. This is the birthday cake I made for my niece's 2nd birthday.

Rainbow Birthday Cake

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Our friend's got married over the summer and they had the coolest wedding cake! The colors were so vibrant. :)

rainbow wedding cake

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

This is a page about making rainbow cakes in canning jars. These brightly colored cakes will delight your family and guests.

Rainbow cake with frosting, served in the mason jars.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesJune 8, 2012
😷
🎄
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Rainbow-Cake.html