Making a Wine Cork Self Portrait

Category Decor
With lots of time and patience you too can create this unique self portrait. Start collecting those corks. This is a guide about making a wine cork self portrait.

Wine Cork Self Portrait

Wine Cork Self Portrait

Here is a self portrait I made of myself out of wine corks. It took me 4 years to complete. The smaller the image or the further back you are, the easier it is to see.

By El Pac from Seattle, WA

Top Comment

Ok... here are some answers to the posted questions:

1) I didn't drink all the wine... the picture you see has 1,776 corks in it. I had to go through about 4,000 to get the right ones, however.

2) I'm not an artist - actually, I'm a CEO by day. That's why it took me 4 years! ...can I still take the tax deduction? :-)

3) My eyesight is good - thanks for asking tennesue!

4) I had to build a string grid to hold the corks in place... then I glued each one in place.

5) I used a black and white picture of myself to refer to. I took each pixel and marked the shade a 1-12. I then made a sample block of corks that represented 12 shades of purple. After sorting through 4,000 corks, I had enough of the different shades to plug them in the right spot.

6) This is my first and last cork project... I might try and do something simliar with colored tiles.

7) Thanks for all your nice comments!

Very nice. Incredible.

Wow...this is really amazing!!! Great job. You must be quite an artist. Thanx for sharing this self portrait with us.

Anonymous

Very, very cool! Quite a creative piece of art!

Have to ask a funny question though. Did it take four years to complete from your own used wine corks? ;-)