Mallard Abandoned an Empty Nest

I noticed a mallard duck nesting in my yard, very close to a lake, for a few days. I put a piece of bread near her yesterday morning. Yesterday evening I checked on her, no sign of eggs. This morning I noticed she was not in her nest and no eggs. Would a duck relocate before she laid eggs? Is it because I went near her? I was always about 4 ft away.

The duck may have heard, seen or smelled another predator. If might have nothing to do with you.

Sadly, it is most likely that a predator got to the eggs and the family moved on. Mother Nature can be so cruel.

Hopefully they will find a safer place in the future.

Just a piece of advice that has nothing to do with the missing eggs, but for future reference, it is best not to feed ducks bread. It gunks up their digestive systems and can make them quite ill. If you don't want to buy duck food (you can get it at most big feed stores or online, but it is pricey) you can feed them things like frozen corn off the cob, frozen peas, and even lettuce.

Post back with any updates. Prayers for the feathered crew!

Better Living Green Living WildlifeJuly 18, 2019
😷
👒
🐛
🌻