Maltese Breed Information and Photos

Category Maltese
Maltese
These tiny dogs are intelligent and make great pets, even for families with children. This is a guide about Maltese breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Maltese is one of the oldest and hardiest of the toy breeds. Its small, elegant body is covered with a silky white coat that is contrasted by dark eyes and a black nose. This breed has courage and an acute sense of hearing, which makes it a good watch dog. The Maltese has a playful and affectionate demeanor that makes him a wonderful companion.

Group: Toy Group.

Purpose of Breed: Ratting, Companionship

Country of Origin: Malta.

Average Size: Range from 9 inches to 10 inches and 4 to 6 pounds. Color(s):Typically white, but beige and lemon markings are sometimes seen.

Coat Type: Very long (floor length), silky and dense.

Grooming: The coat of the Maltese takes considerable care and must be brushed daily and kept dry to prevent matting. This breed requires standard care for pads and nails. Ears and eyes need to be cleaned and examined frequently.

Exercise Needs: The Maltese needs moderate amounts of exercise and adapts very well to apartment living.

Temperament: The Maltese is an intelligent little dog with a charming personality. They are outgoing and lively and make wonderful lap dogs. This affectionate breed is a good choice for the elderly, but may not be suitable for young children prone to rough-housing. The Maltese is friendly and alert. It is naturally suspicious of strangers and makes a good watch dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to eye problems and patellar luxation.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-14 years.

Trivia: The ancient Greeks erected tombs to honor their Maltese.

More Information: American Maltese Association, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Olive is a 1 and a half year old Maltese. My daughter bought Olive when she was 9 weeks old from a breeder.

Olive is the best dog. She loves everyone and loves to play with her toys, to go to dog parks, and go into stores. She is an all around well socialized dog.

This photo was taken at a Halloween contest at PetSmart where Olive came in first place. She was Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz.

By Terri

Olive (Maltese)

Comment Like this photo? 11

Max is 8 month old Maltese. Max was a bit unplanned. We'd (my fiance and I) planned on getting a dog later in the summer once we'd moved and settled. We'd successfully gone to the pet stores and left without a new family member in the past and I had planned to rescue a dog. But this one day in May 2009, we went in to the mall pet store and fell in love. He's made us so happy ever since.

Max loves to give hugs and kisses, run and play with the other doggies at the dog park and chew on daddy's socks. Max has such a huge personality and gigantic heart in such a tiny little body. We love him so much. The picture I'm posting is of Max right after we moved into our new apartment. He was being "Mommy's Little Helper" as I put together our new furniture.

By Jwotton from West Orange, NJ

white maltese

Comment Like this photo? 13

Sophie is a 5 month old Maltese. She likes to play with chew toys and fetch. She is just adorable! She gives me a lot of company and laughter!

By Tofi from Decatur, IL

Sophie (Maltese)

Comment Like this photo? 7

Your Pet's Age
9 Years Old

Your Pet's Breed
Maltese

How and when did you get your pet?
Got her back in 2004 for a surprise birthday present to my brother.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves soaking up the sun rays that peek through the glass door or windows. In the winter she hibernates and stays under the covers most of the time unless of course it's to go outside or eat. She loves to dance around on her back paws.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
She loves all the attention she can get. She is a lap dog and will snuggle up right next to you and of course she loves when people gives her rubs.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Lady is about 13 years old. Not really sure what breed she is but I have been told she was a Maltese. We got her from the Animal Shelter about 4 years ago. She likes to play with her toy dolphin, and loves to go to the park and run around. She also loves to sleep and tries to eat the cat food (I have 2 cats also) She's a spoiled princess and she knows it.

By Beverly from Sacramento, CA

Lady (Maltese?)

Comment Like this photo? 9

This is Snowball an 8 year old Maltese. I got Snowball 8 years ago. Snowball liked to run, chase, play tag, chew on plastic bottles and loved to eat crackers. RIP Snowball, we love you.

By Wanda

Snowball (Maltese)

Comment Like this photo? 9

Lulu is a 9 year-old Maltese. We got her nine years ago in Brooklyn. She likes to run round and around the dining room table. She just loves to snuggle.

Lulu ( white Maltese dog) wearing a red dog coat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Lucia is a 12 year old Maltese that I got her on Valentines Day. She was a Valentine's Day present. She likes to get dressed up. She is a Diva Doggie!

Lucia (Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

We got her almost 2 years ago, from a breeder. She is very quiet, didn't have the opportunity to play or even learn how to jump at her previous home, so she is happy to be where I am. She likes to sleep. She likes her cat brother and they get along really well. He is an 11 year old Himalayan.

Chloe (Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I got Chloe Mae from a friend that I worked with back in 2004. She was 8 weeks old and weighed only 8 ounces. She likes to play with her babies (stuffed toys).

Chloe Mae on red blanket

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Cookie is a 6 year old Maltese. We adopted each other when her her owner passed and her niece didn't want another dog. Her dog would just nip at Cookie if she barked at anything.

Cookie (Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Lulu is a 9 year old Maltese. We all missed our Snowball who passed away and knew we needed another furry family member to fill our heart. So 9 years ago my family and I saw Lulu and it was love at first sight. She has been a true joy and the love of my life ever since.

Someone holding Lulu up to a chalk board that says, "Lulu was here".

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Misty was just a puppy in this picture. She is now 11 years old and we love her very much. Sadly she has gone blind and just likes to sleep most of the days now.

Misty (Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him on Christmas when I was 9.

Perry at a baby gate

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

This is Desiree (Desi) and she is six. She is a Maltese and she has a twin sister Danielle (Dani) who lives with her and their momma dog, Chanel. What do they do for fun? BARK BARK BARK!

Desi (Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got my pet from a friend of mine 5 week ago. He likes to run outside, swim, play fetch, and make friends! He has a habit of taking items of clothing out of the laundry room to play with.

Scooter

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Lola is a 5 year old Miniature Maltese. She weighs 3 pounds. I gave Lola to my daughter when she graduated from high school, but now my daughter is in University and can not bring Lola with her, so I now have Lola all to myself.

Lola (Miniature Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Fluffy is a 5 year old Maltese. We bought Fluffy at a pet store in Oct of 2000.

Desi (Maltese)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

My dog's name is Snowball. He is a Maltese. We got him when he was just a baby. He loves cheezies and plastic bottles to chase around. He is a very good dog.

snow-carriage.jpg

By Wan

Answers:

Snowball (Maltese)

Oh what an adorable face! I love the haircut , my yorkie's haircut is real short. I had a friend who who a Maltese and he was very good and smart. Have fun! (05/11/2005)

By meoowmom

Snowball (Maltese)

That is a face made for the movies! How adorable. (05/11/2005)

By Patti

Snowball (Maltese)

I also had a Maltese, they are wonderful dogs. had him 13 and a half years. He went to doggie heaven 4 years ago and I still miss him. Received him for Christmas so his name was St. Nickolus. (05/23/2005)

By burntofferings