Mini Yogurt Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Yogurt adds a delicious dimension to an ordinary cake. These mini cakes are frosted with buttercream and make the perfect finishing touch for parties or date nights.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a simple, moist cake to make. I made these as mini cakes for an upcoming party, but you can definitely serve as full sized cake. It is delicious!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
Yield: 1 cake or 2 mini cakes
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3 cups cane sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a zester, grate the lemon peal into the sugar.
- Rub the zest with the sugar until combination is moist and sandy. Set the lemons aside for something else (you will need the lemon juice).
- In a large bowl add the all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Add sugar/lemon zest, greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract and oil. Fold the ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Lightly grease your baking pan with oil and dust with all purpose flour. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes. Time varies depending on your oven.
- Use the topping of your choice. I made vanilla buttercream frosting. Soften the butter and add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until creamy frosting consistency.
- When your cake is cool, you can frost it. You can frost the entire cake or make mini cakes like I did. I use a cookie cutter and made four circles.
- I stacked one circle, add a layer of frosting and covered the entire cake with frosting. Then repeat it for the second mini cake.
September 22, 20170 found this helpful
Yummy I need one! :)
October 1, 20170 found this helpful
It was totally delicious :)
September 14, 20180 found this helpful
I'm curious, is the cake itself very sweet? I am looking for a cake that isn't too sweet little girl's 1st birthday.