Mourning Dove Photos

Category Wildlife
A close up of a mourning dove.
This very common bird is found from southern Canada to central Mexico. They are recognizable from their soft prolonged cooing that has a distinctly mournful sound. This page contains mourning dove photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This beautiful Mourning Dove sat on the trellis preening for us as though he were alone in the world. He put on quite a show for over 15 minutes, carefully cleaning each feather, smoothing and arranging them just right. He looked so dapper when he was finally done. We got a whole series of photos but we thought this one shows how proud he was.

Comment Like this photo? 17

Photo Description
I put out lots of seed for Mr. and Mrs. Mourning Dove. They're raising a family and need the nourishment.

Occasionally, they like to suppliment their diet with tasty morsels other than seed. I can't imagine what was under my liriope that caught this fella's interest. It must have been good. He kept going back for seconds and thirds.

His true love is usually three or four steps behind him. I'm thinking, this time she is on her nest, brooding that precious clutch of two small eggs.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Photo Description

When I first spotted this bird, I thought it was a Mourning Dove. Then I realized something was rather strange. It must be some type of pheasant. But no, the way it was walking, the way it was feeding, I decided I was right the first time. It was a dove.

For reference, compare this picture to another I posted of a 'normal' dove. You can readily see many differences. The picture is here.

http://img.thrfun.com/img/147/033/mr_mourning_dove_checks_his_surroundings_2_l6.jpg

First, this strange dove does not have the characteristic 'blue eye shadow', and its head and bib are mottled rather than monochromatic. Its allover color is more of a blue grey, and while missing the blue eye shadow, it does have a faint blue patch at the rump.

The wing feathers are much shortened, having a blunt effect with rounded tips. The four distinct roundish black markings on the wings have been replaced with several markings scattered about the wing tips.

I probably would get a chuckle or two from an ornithologist if I showed him my 'Mystery Dove'. Its features may be as common as mud. All I can say is 'I have observed Mourning Doves all my life. I have even raised them. I have never seen a mourning dove with such 'unusual' features'.

I just may make friends with this fella(?). He comes quite close to me and relishes the hulled and cracked sunflower seed I throw his way. If he's a
mutant, he doesn't know it, and his fellow doves don't know it. Another good reason this bird should be, and is, a symbol of peace.

- - -

Later

Now, I am inside at the kitchen window. It watches my every move from fifty feet away. I haven't seen it fly. I don't know that it can. If it has a mate, I haven't seen it.

Such a nice bird, but it seems so lonely.

An omen?

Comment Like this photo? 2