Mr. Mourning Dove Checks His Surroundings

Photo Description
I put out lots of seed for Mr. and Mrs. Mourning Dove. They're raising a family and need the nourishment.

Occasionally, they like to suppliment their diet with tasty morsels other than seed. I can't imagine what was under my liriope that caught this fella's interest. It must have been good. He kept going back for seconds and thirds.

His true love is usually three or four steps behind him. I'm thinking, this time she is on her nest, brooding that precious clutch of two small eggs.

Is it me or is that a smile on its face?!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I think it could be said the bird has a 'friendly countenance'. Doves are a sign of peace. And indeed, they are peaceable creatures. I have never seen them spar or squabble. The only time I've seen a male show aggression was when another male came too close to his nest.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

They are indeed lovely creatures. We have several that seem to like our special feeders that will accommodate doves as well as their food sprinkled in their special places. We also have one little loner that has lost her/his mate and I always feel sad when I see that little one but they sometimes spend the night just snuggled down near our house.

Nice photo catch.
Betty

Reply Like this photo? Yes

You can easily discern the gender of a mature Mourning Dove. If you see a pair together, note the black 'oval' markings on their wings. The male's markings will be darker and more pronounced. In no time you will be able to tell the gender when the bird is alone.

The pictured dove is a male.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks for this information as I really want to know if my loner is male or female - just for my own curiosity.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What do you supplement other than seed.?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Seed is all I put out for the doves. That's all I've ever known them to eat.

Now I'm curious. I'll have to research to see if they eat other things.

Reply Like this photo? Yes