My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life

Hello, I began to be frugal many years ago. I found myself disabled and living on $700 a month SSI. I could not make ends meet for anything. I ate at the food kitchen two weeks out the month with my 3 year old. She is now 22 years old.

I since learned that cable TV was not required to live with. I cut it off and kept the WiFi. I can't live without that. I asked for any discounts and had a coupon added to bring it from $55 to $40 a month for one year. I gave up the house phone and bought the Magic Jack.

At the end of the year, I call in for another coupon and go from there with the WiFi. I added Netflix and Hulu to my household and that is what I watch. I find it just dandy to pay less than $20 a month for TV shows and movies. I stopped going to the movies once I learned Netflix would soon have it.

My light bill was very high. I began shutting off the breakers before leaving the house. I also removed a lot of stuff that had lights on it. I learned that from the light company. The bill started to get lower for me. I stopped turning off the breaker after that. I do not turn on my TV until after 6 p.m. unless I have guests over. I won't lie, I limit company as often as possible to save my light bill. My light bill went down even more.

The summer time arrived and I was terrified to have the air on. I ran two fans and kept my windows shut along with blinds closed. At night, I would open the window and run two fans. When the air had to go on for the entire week night and day. I was very upset. I was freaking out to be honest. The bill was $49 and for that I am proud.

I was sitting with a friend in Mc Donald's and she told me of a company that she joined and they offered her a gift card. It lowered her bill as well. I do anything to save and also joined it. My bill went down and I also was paid $25 for joining. I since got 3 people under me and they are all happy to get lower bills.

I reward myself once a month with $7 for take out, no more pizzas ordered to my address. Due to all the cut backs, I put $50 in savings every month. Next month, I will start with $80. Instead of shopping the malls, I started shopping on wish.com. They have nice clothing and you can order a size up and look very nice.

I don't buy Uggs any more, I buy Bearpaws ($40 at Marshall's - black and blue.) I need nothing more for winter. I wear my down coat and change up my hat, gloves and scarf. It makes me feel like I bought something new every year. I have a insurance card that gives me $65 a month to get stuff like pain pills, toothpaste and mouthwash. I give my neighbor some and she gives me garbage bags and toilet tissue.

Another thing I did was to call for my free phone from the Medicaid program. It works with my LG tribute and they let me keep my phone number. Next month, I no longer have a phone bill. That is how I get to add $30 more to savings. I do a few sites online every day like Swagbucks and Crowdtap. I use those Amazon cards for cleaning supplies and rewards.

The one thing that hurt my budget was going to the laundromat. The dryers were too expensive and not hot enough. I found a mini washer on Amazon.com It was the best money I could spend. I put it in my spare bedroom on top of two milk crates. I fill it with two buckets of water and now pay nothing to wash clothes. The best thing is my light bill has not gone up.

I am now living on $766 and I can help other people who are worse off than me. The one thing I wish I could do was afford better food. I stopped buying steak for a few months. Last night, I found sliders for $6.99 and bought them. That will be what I buy when I crave a steak. I cook as much as I can in my crock pot as well.

I registered with lots of sample sites. Ilovetoreview.com sends full sized samples as you see here. I have prime and sample free stuff.

I could go on forever but you get it. Thanks for reading about my frugal life.

Source: myself.

I am very impressed with how well you are doing Sharon. You gave me some great ideas!!

Thanks so very much,I am glad to know this.

Thanks!! I too live on SSI & it's GREAT to read about someone who TRULY understand's the budget. It tips,idea's are GREAT!!

Anonymous

You are very clever to live on your very limited income. Congratulations on your resourcefulness. Many people could learn a lot from you. Best wishes to you.

I eagerly read your tips! Please write more! I took notes and will be doing several things you already do. Thank you so much.

You made me smile.

Sharon.........you are very inspirational.........thanks for sharing........You mentioned a friend told you about a group.....and that you joined it to save money............what is that group? Thanks

Freecycle.org or .com

everything is free..

Anonymous

Not only are the ideas great, I love the writing style, no flowery prose and sad attempts at being funny, just good tips given with honest straightforward conversation, what a refreshing change!

Thanks so very much. I love that you enjoyed it.

You are very resourceful. I had no idea that washer existed. I could have used that when I lived in an apartment.

Anonymous

As many before me have mentioned, thank you for being tough enough go share your story. Mine is not quite the same, as it is my husband who is probably headed toward medical retirement. He has never worried about money before, whereas I am the thrift queen. It helps me to know there are sites and people like yourself out there.