Never Fail Pie Crust Recipes
Many cooks prefer to make their own pie crust rather than purchase ready-made ones. This is a page about never fail pie crust recipes
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
April 7, 2015
Read More Comments
A friend shared this recipe with me years ago. The ingredients sounded so strange to me, but I gave it a try. I am so glad I did. It is so flaky and delicious. It is very versatile. I use it for pie crusts, quiches, hand-held chicken pot pies, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked for the recipe. It really is that good.
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 double or 5 single pie crusts
Source: Dorothy Hall
- 4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cup shortening (I use the butter-flavored one)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- Mix together the flour, shortening, sugar, and salt til crumbly. You can use a pastry cutter or a fork.
- In a separate bowl, beat vinegar, egg, and water.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mix. Mix with spoon til combined.
- Form into balls. Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill at least 15 minutes before using. Can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- You can blind bake your crust, baking it before you add the filling, for cream pies or fresh fruit pies. Roll out your dough on a floured surface. I like to roll it out on a pizza pan, to get a uniform shape.
- Place dough into pan. Create your edges however you like.
- Put wax paper on top of the crust. Fill the pie crust with pie weights or dry beans. I use a pound of black beans. Once done, I keep them in a baggie for the next time I make a pie crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 5 minutes. Take out of the oven. Remove the wax paper and beans. It's easiest to grab all 4 corners of the wax paper and lift it all out. Pierce the bottom of your crust with a fork.
- Return to the oven and bake 10 more minutes, til golden brown.
This is a recipe for making never fail pie crust.Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.