Healthy EatingFood Tips

Nutrition In Disguise

I had 3 boys in 4 1/2 years when I was very young. Then at 40, I had another boy. His brothers were 17, 20 and 22 when he was born. I gave them pancakes slathered in butter and syrup at least twice a week. Not wanting the little one to consume all that sugar, I scrambled 2 eggs in a bowl then added 1/4 cup of flour to the mix. VOILA! Pancakes for one with very little syrup.

One of the older boys caught me adding the flour to the eggs and inquired as to what I was doing. When I told him I was making pancakes for Mike, he exclaimed "Is there no end to your treachery?" He remembered being told that Ritz crackers and the small snack rye loaves were cookies. We've had a lot of laughs over the years about those cookies.

I have a real thing about giving little kids a lot of sugar and have managed to find a way around it. The youngest son is now 35, a fine man, very health conscious and a firefighter. He is watching the sugar consumption of his 2 kids.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN