Old Kenmore Sewing Machine Won't Stitch?

My Kenmore 148.19370 sewing machine has power, but the needle bar (the part that should go up and down) won't budge! I took the machine's cover off, dusted and oiled it, but no luck. I can't even manually move it with the hand wheel. It is very old, but made the good old way, no plastic. Before I give up, any ideas?

You might have a broken or stuck gear. You may need to take it in to be serviced.

Does this one have the wheel on the right side as you look at the machine--that you loosen when you wind bobbins? I have had times with mine (a super old one too...it is a work horse though) when I don't get it tightened enough after I wind a bobbin and it freezes like you describe.

Also, it has become frozen like this if I tighten that thing too tight.

Maybe try un- tightening it all the way and slowly tightening it. Trying the needle as you go.

Hopefully yours will resolve as easy as mine does.

The other time I had issues, there was a lot of dust under the cover, but it looks like you started that route. These machines are usually really low maintenance, so maybe the wheel will be your fix!

Post back with an update!

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesSeptember 4, 2019
😷
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Old-Kenmore-Sewing-Machine-Wont-Stitch.html