Organizing Tips and Tricks

Organized Garage
Learning organizational basics can help you arrange all kinds of things. This guide contains organizing tips and tricks.

I love organizing. I've also worked in the office product industry for 29 years so I have had access to some pretty amazing organizational products. But the bottom line is that the key for organizing all my multiple projects is 3-ring binders.

Oddly enough, they are perfect for projects because of of their versitility and low cost. Ring binders some in a variety of size (1 inch, 1.5 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch and even 4 inch) and can even be color-coordinated. What I love most is what you can put in a ring binder. There are cool sheet protectors, pockets, dividers, business card pages, note pages, and zippered pockets that can help you customize your binder based on your needs. So if you are looking for a "non cumbersome" method for organizing, ring binders are the best bang for your buck!

By franticmommy from up north, MN

When folding sheets and pillow cases to store, I put the pillow cases in between the top and bottom sheets. When changing the bed I just have to pull out the bundle and they are all together as a set. I also store my new kitchen trash bags in the trash can. That way when I take the full bag to the outside trash can, a new bag is right there to put in the trash can.

By soochatty from Middletown, DE

This may have been suggested before, but I have not seen it. After finding so many great ideas, some I wanted to do, or try, right away, and some I wanted for future reference, I came up with this plan.

First I emptied a three ring notebook (the kind that holds regular school paper). Then I started printing the various ideas, or solutions to problems, and gluing them on notebook paper, or just writing them down on the paper. I took dividers to make some sense from it all, with food ideas in one space, craft things in another, stain removal in one, pet issues, etc.

You may ask why I didn't just save it on my computer, well, have you ever saved anything, and had your computer crash? That's why! The things I find on ThriftyFun are usually very helpful, and informative, so I want a solid copy that I can have in the area I need it.

This has already helped in a couple situations. You can certainly use different types of binders, notebooks, etc., But the full size is what i had, and find that it works very well. If a picture was involved, and it doesn't print well, I sketch something that I can follow just as well. Maybe this will be as helpful to you as it has been already for me.

by Loretta from Theodore, AL

I recently organized our medicine cabinet and hallway closet with small plastic containers and baskets from the dollar store. I put all like items together in each basket. For example, all medicine and first aid in one, extra toothpaste and toothbrushes in another. It makes it easy for my husband and son to find things this way.

While I love the look of organized tags and labels, I didn't want to spend the money on a labeler. Instead, I took a white sheet of paper, wrote the title in a black, permanent marker ("First Aid, etc."), cut it down to about 1x2 inches. Then, I took some clear packaging tape and stuck it evenly on both sides of the label. Now it's laminated and ready to go on the basket. At this point you can use tape, or punch a hole and string some ribbon through. Whatever method you prefer to affix it to the basket you are labeling. You can also pretty it up and use different colored markers, stickers, scrapbook paper and more!

This is a guide about saving money by planning errands. We have all run errands and found ourselves going around in circles. Planning your errands will help you make the most of your time and will also help save you money in gas.

Someone pushing a shopping cart quickly.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

As this year comes to an end, my resolution is to have more time to enjoy my life and not be overwhelmed by the things I have to take care of. I decided to use binders to organize each part of my life. I tried one Home Notebook last year, but it became to big and bulky and I stopped using it.

I used Christmas gift cards that were given to me to buy the binders. Each binder is for one thing I keep up with.

• Business Ideas
  • Budget
  • Car
  • Cleaning
  • Creative (crafts, decorating, etc.)
  • State Help (I'm a single mother)
  • Employee (handbook, insurance info, etc)
  • Food
  • Genealogy
  • Homeowner
  • Internet Items
  • Mother
  • Nurse (to my kids)
  • Organizer
  • Patient (my health)
  • Santa (Christmas planning)
  • Scheduler
  • Work (ideas for my job)
  • Woman (clothing, makeup, etc.)

I then went through all the paperwork in filing cabinets, etc. Cleaned out the old unneeded papers and put the "keep" papers in the appropriate binders. To me it is easier than using file folders tucked in a drawer. I found clip art for each binder and printed them as labels. One shelf of my bookshelf closest to my desk is dedicated to my binders. I only have three file folders left in my desk filing drawer. Old taxes, user manuals and the file of paperwork from when I bought my house.

I also organized my "Favorites" folders on the internet to match the same topics and when I clean and organize my garage in the spring, I will label each storage bin in the same way. I also cleaned off all the Word and Excel files from my computer after importing them to Google Docs, where I made the same folders/topics.

This may be too much for some people, but it will hopefully help someone out there "control" their paper clutter too! Some people may have fewer "topics" and some may have more. Good luck and Happy New Year 2011!

By tnphoenixrising from Clarksville, TN