Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

Category Bathroom
Updating your dingy shower enclosure doesn't need to be expensive. This is a guide about painting fiber glass shower walls.

My shower is old and yellowed. Is there a product that you can use to paint your fiberglass fixtures?

Norma from Riverside

Answers

I am actually going through this myself. At Home Depot I found a product called "Magic ReNew Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit". I found it on an endcap near the paint department...maybe $28. Anyhow, it comes with a "cold" can and a "hot" can. They are spraypaint can-like. You put one in the fridge to get it cold and then put the other in hot water to get it hot. Then you turn one into the other to mix the products. Once the one now-full can gets to room temperature you are good to go. If you can spraypaint, you can do this. Make sure you cover EVERYTHING else in the bathroom (I forgot to cover the floor). In the event that you get it on the floor or other item, a fine grade steel wool rubbed lightly on it will loosen it so you can sweep it up and clean it up with a mop or a rag.

MtM

Absolutely! Lowe's sells a great primer in their paint department. The most important step is the surface prep. Clean your shower surround with the recommended cleaner (I believe it was called TLX, also at Lowes). You then use a two part epoxy paint that is made just for this job. Good luck and enjoy your upgraded shower!

There is this product called Perma-Glaze - looks like what you're looking for. Here is the link: http://www.perm  e.com/index.html

Rust-oleum has a kit for this. Rust-Oleum 1 qt. White Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit it's $23 here a link form home depot

http://www.home  ;catalogId=10053

If your tub /shower has a caulked seam, Permaglaze, even done by dealer will crack and peel in 9 months. Beware, they paint over the caulk and it expands and contracts often causing peeling on the surface.

I had my shower repainted by Permaglaze 12 months ago. At nine months it stated peeling/cracking at the seam of two pieces of the shower. I questioned painting over caulk as opposed to caulking after painting. That is what we do was the reply. Now, what kind of paint do I use to sand, clean and repair the peeling. Should I caulk after painting as opposed to before?

Answers

I would think you would have at least a 1-year warranty for this. Check your warranty and contact the company before you touch this shower. If you repair now, you may void the warranty.

I agree with Judy, this should not have started to come apart so quickly. You should hold the company responsible to a standard of quality. They need to address this issue.

Yes, what Judy said. Call the company back.

You really need to look over your contract to see how long your actual warranty is and if other things were done there may be different time periods listed.
Your local Permaglaze company is a franchise but hopefully they will stand behind the quality of work they do and even if the warranty time has passed they should repair this type of damage.
If they do not help you, then I would suggest you contact the parent company and tell them your story along with photographs and also state what your local dealer told you - or did.
Here is a way to contact the parent company:

http://www.perm  e.com/email.html

Can you paint shower surround walls? I want to do a major bathroom redo in a few years, but just want to get the tub reglazed for now. I need to do something about the walls, the finish is coming off the fiberglass and they just look gross. Can you help?

By Margie

Answers

If this is a piece not attached to the tub, why not replace it?

Go to a boat shop or marina where they sell marine paint. It covers fiberglass and is waterproof. Clean the fiberglass well before painting.

Does anyone know if or how you can paint a fiberglass shower surround? Any help will be appreciated.

Oneta

Answers:

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

You can't SKIN fiberglass. I had one of those one day fitter places and they told me fiberglass can't really be painted. It can be GLAZED, just to make it look really SHINY. I love the idea of fiberglass boat paint, that might WORK. (06/30/2008)

By shopn24seven

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

I have never painted a fiberglass surround, but aren't they kind of like a plastic? There is a spray paint found in hardware stores that I have used on plastic lawn chairs. I painted mine 2 years ago and they did not peel at all. They are outside in the sunshine and the rain.
I would make sure the surround is very clean and dry before painting and don't forget to wear a mask. (07/02/2008)

By PICO

We have white tub/shower walls which are about 30 years old. Replacing them is out of the question because of the ensuing mess. They never look completely clean and we'd like to paint them. Can this be done? I think the material is fiber glass.

MartyD from Houston, TX

Answers:

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

I would recommend going into your local paint store where they have knowledgeable staff. You have to be careful for a variety of reasons. The fiberglass has a very slick finish which would make it hard for paint to adhere to, and you are dealing with an area that has a lot of moisture and a lot of paints can mold in those situations. I am guessing that what you will need is to lightly sand down the fibreglass (wear a mask - you don't want to inhale it), and then prime and paint with a marine type of paint (like they use on boats). I have never done this so this is just a best guess from someone who has done a fair amount of painting.

There are also commercial services which can come and put a new "skin" on your shower/bath tub. I have seen the finished product and they look very nice. Be sure and ask about warranties, etc. and get references - then check them! (03/31/2008)

By DownSouth

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

If it were me, I'd call up a fiberglass boat maker like "Livingston" In Washington State, or better yet, just Google "Fiberglass Boats, Texas". Then call a local boat maker & simply tell them your problem and ask these fiberglass boat makers what they use to paint their boats! You'll have to be careful because fiberglass bends and moves. I'm sure a good high-adhesive primer like Zinsser 123 might be in order too, but before you do ANYTHING call several Fiberglass Boat Builders! Who knows, maybe they'll even sell you some of their paint?

It may be to strong for home use though. You'll most likely need a respirator and a sprayer to do the job right! You might need an "Epoxy Paint"? Before you DO paint or prime, be sure to wipe the whole thing down with rubbing alcohol. This is an artist's trick to remove any oil or residue.

*If you can't find any info on your own, write me on ThriftyFun, as my ex-sister-in-law works for & builds Livingston Boats.

---> PS Don't even THINK of having someone "Skin" your shower or bath... I live in a mobile home & had them come & do an estimate. They're bid was $3,400 or MORE! Can you believe it, in a TINY mobile home bathroom! What a MAJOR rip off! You're better off going to Home Depot. They sell this Vinyl board type stuff in white or off-white that looks like 6" tiles. Its called "shower backer board" or something like that? It can be cut with a jig saw. or sometimes just a box knife. If you know your dimensions they'll even cut it FOR you! SHEESH! It's so easy to install, even I (a 53 year old granny) could install it! In fact, It looks like I probably will do JUST THAT in my own place! All you need is a tube of matching caulk & several braids (tiny nails) & a hammer OR some industrial type glue. Easy as Pie, right OVER the other stuff! This way, you've skinned it yourself WITHOUT paying nearly Four Thousand dollars for the work! Those "Shower & bath Skinners" have REALLY got a racket going! (04/01/2008)

By Cyinda

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

Check if there is a service that refinishes tubs. There is one where I live and the work is outstanding, it looks like new. It costs more than paint but the results are worth it. (04/01/2008)

By seeme

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

Try cleaning it with WD40. Sounds stupid but I have been told that it works great. (04/02/2008)

By Dean Terrell

Painting Fiber Glass Shower Walls

I had mine sprayed with a new finish. There are some companies that do this. I found several in the newspaper and yellow pages so I was able to shop around for the best price. They're like new. You won't be disappointed. (04/03/2008)

By Puddintane