Painting Laminate Countertops

I used the sponge paint technique to create a faux granite look on my counter top. The paint process turned out great and I let it dry for a couple days before I began to apply the top coat.

I am using Minwax polyacrylic for the top coat and when I started applying it the paint started smearing. I watched several videos and thought I was doing everything right. Guess not! Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me?
Thanks!

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

There are special paints that need to be used in order to paint a laminate counter top. One such paints that does the trick is made by Giani. The kit comes with all you will need to do your project. You can cover around 35 square feet with this kit. You will need to follow these instructions.

Step 1
Clean the counter top and remove all grease. Use a scouring pad and rise well with water.

Step 2
Use the primer that is supplied in the kit with a paint roller. Paint over the top of all your countertops. You will need to complete this in one day. You can not come back later and do the other countertops because the color will come out differently each time.

Step 3
Let the primer dry completely. The primer needs 8 hours to dry completely.

Step 4
Apply the mineral color using a sponge. I would practice first on a sheet of construction paper so that you can get the hang of making the random patterns. You want this to not have stripes or streaks. You want a design that flows and has waves of color.

Step 5
The layer needs to dry for 4 hours.

Step 6
After the second layer has dried you will need to do a light sanding.

Step 7
The final layer is your top coat. Apply your top coat using a clean paint roller. Make even strokes and roll the top coat out evenly on the counter top.

Step 8
Allow 4 hours for the top coat to dry. You will need to wait another 2 to 3 hours before you place anything heavy on your countertops.

Step 9
For the first two week keep your countertops dry and be careful how you use them. You will need this time for the top coat to fully cure.