General AdviceConsumer Advice

Painting a Clear PVC Backpack

I am looking to paint this clear Dickies backpack, white. On Amazon where I purchased it from says the material is PVC.

I attempted painting it with Rustoleum UltraCover Paint+Primer, but the bag was way too tacky. So I used Goo-B-Gone to strip the paint off so I could start over.

Do I need to sand the bag to remove the shine then paint over that?

I'm sorry IDK.

RIF fabric dye!

Wash the bag thoroughly with water and ammonia mixture. Rinse well. Sandpaper all pvc until its shine is gone. Wipe off and use a latex primer application by brush or spray method. Let dry. Use latex paint over the primer covering well.

I would use Sharpies in different colors.

You will probably not be happy with any painting or coloring you do on PVC, if you are like me. It never seems to work. It flakes, it cracks, it fades, etc.

Now what does work for a backpack like this is you can try to sew or glue to the surface.

Now if you sew, you have to use a very fine needle (best on a sewing machine but you could always do this by hand) and I suggest a nylon thread (there are clear ones if you are going to make like a quilt pattern). You could always get shiny embroidery floss and embroider on it (my personal fav). This should also be done with a fine sewing needle--must be very sharp!

If you do glue, go to Home Depot or your big box hardware store and ask about the special glue for PVC. Use it outside and follow the directions exactly.

For gluing...you could glue on buttons or even papers cut from magazines.

Post back your finished product!

I fear no matter what you try to do it will not look right and will always have a tacky feeling to the bag. There are some ways to paint PVC but none of them really last a long time or look very good when they are done.

The only thing you can really try is to sand the pack first and then paint it. But keep in mind if you do sand the pack and paint it this might ruin the sack if it does not work.

I'd think you'd have to clean it, dry it, prime it, paint it, but it's probably not going to be exactly what you like. It looks really cool clear-- maybe you'd like to decorate it from the inside instead?

Thank you for all your responses! I ended up painting it in this order:

1. Sanded
2. Spray Primer (2coats)
3. Brushing Acrylic Paint
4. Spray Primer

Kind of used whatever I had handy... but wanted it to look rough and grungy with some of the hologram coming through still in some areas. The surface of the bag doesnt seem to be fragile or flaky and its not cracking yet so thats a good sign. Not what I expected the result to be but it works!

Live & Learn!

Thanks for posting back and sharing photos! It is neat! Blessings!

Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 1, 2019
🌻
📓
🎂