Perm Damaged Colored Hair

I have heavy highlighted hair and I just got a perm two days ago. Now my hair has no elasticity at all and it's so dry and unmanageable. I can't even comb it unless I put a bunch of oil in it; it literally feels like cotton. Is there anything I can do to repair my damaged hair without cutting it super short? I have had 2 perms before with my highlighted hair a year ago and it never was this bad so I'm not sure what went wrong.

By Julie from AZ

How long did you wait after coloring your hair to get the perm. My sister is a retired beauty operator, and she has often told me that every now and then you do have to let your hair rest, when you color, perm, and start over.