Pickled Onion Recipes

Category Vegetables
A delicious way to prepare onions that can reduce the heat of the raw bulb. This page contains pickled onion recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Crispy, crunchy, pickly onions to make a good salad great!

• 1 small red onion
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • a pinch of hot pepper flakes, optional
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Peel the onion and cut into bite-sized chunks. Separate the layers. Put into a bowl and cover with vinegar, adding a little salt and pepper. Marinate for 1 hour. Drain before serving.

By Free2B from North Royalton, OH

Many years ago I was invited to share a meal with a couple who belonged to a volunteer group where I served. The wife was from a well-to-do family in Mexico. She served an elegant buffet free of heavy starches. The food I remember most was this one:

Directions

Slice a red onion very thin. Place it in a bowl and pour white vinegar over it. Allow it to stand in the refrigerator at least two hours. The vinegar turns pink and takes the heat out of the onion.

While I do not normally eat raw onion, I could hardly stay out of these!

By Reenie from Rupert, ID