Helpful HintsFood Tips

Plastic Lid on Food Scale

Use a plastic lid on your scale when measuring food to help keep food particles and juices from running into the mechanical device. Not only is clean-up much simpler, the offset of food and container weight from taring the scale to zero is much lower; far better than using a heavy plate.

This is a good idea - less clean up always works for me.
Now - be sure to let us know when you find a way to reduce the weight numbers that show up on our personal scales!

Guess what, Betty! I'm actually in the process of writing an article about how I lost over 100 pounds!!! I can't wait to share it! :)

Congrats on your weight loss attosa! That is amazing!!!

I love your hint! When I was measuring I used a plastic measuring cup...but that meant for some foods I would have to cut it up first and that was a pain. This is so much easier! Thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to seeing your article!

Well get to work on that article girl! I feel sure you can squeeze a few more minutes out of your busy day (just do not cut into your Mom and Dad time).

I want to know how you did it. I'm having a problem with food tasting so good, I don't want to stop eating.

I was just thinking that a food scale is a great way to reduce your personal weight. I found that weighing portion sizes was so helpful for me to keep my diet in check, especially with carbs and snack foods.

Congrats on the weight loss, Atossa. It's a challenge for all of us. Can't wait for your article. :)

Thanks, ladies! I'm trying to get it done. Taking care of my parents is actually one thing that slows things down (but I love it) :) I hope my article will be of great use to you all. Using this food scale has been one of the things that has REALLY helped me a lot. I used to just eye what might be a portion, and it turned out I was overestimating by a lot. This food scale here was $9 on eBay and so worth it in how much it helps me!

My husband and I were doing a strict diet a few months back that called for 4 - 6 oz. of chicken per serving.

My husband put chicken on his plate without measuring. I stopped him and measured his serving, it was over 14 oz! It's so easy to allow your portions to creep.

Exactly that, Jess! I had my friend guess what 6 ounces was the other day when we were cooking, and he pulled out about 12 ounces. Looks are deceiving!