Preparing Your Home for a Vacation

There are a number of ways you can save energy and food when you leave your home for some time. This guide is about preparing your home for a vacation.

When going away for a vacation, etc. remember to turn off the water to your house. It's better to be safe than sorry. A pal's neighbor found out the hard way. They came back from a nice, relaxing vacation to a house flooded because a water pipe burst.

By By Terri from NV

When you leave for vacation, put the milk left in the carton in the freezer. Just be sure the carton isn't full. When you get home, put it in the refrigerator to defrost. It saves money and makes it that you don't need to go out for milk as soon as you get home.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Going on vacation? Be sure to turn off the main water shut off valve where it comes into the house. Also turn off the hot water heater.

It's best to anticipate a "what if" than return to a flooded house.

We were home once when a toilet tank cracked and the water kept running and filled the ceiling below! Fortunately, we were home.

By Syd

When leaving my home for months in Phoenix, Arizona should I turn the water lead to my hot water heater off? I can't turn the main off as I need it for automated sprinklers.

By William K.

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, you should absolutely turn if off if you won't be there for an extended period of time. When my brother prepared to leave his vacation home, he would open all the faucets and also drain the water heater. You sure don't want to have any worries of flooding in your home.

We have a home in Florida where we stay for 5 months. It is closed for 7 months. I forgot to leave the refrigerator door open. Will there be a problem with the unit? It is not connected, no electricity in the house, and it is clean.
Thank you.

By Louise B

Answers

I hope you have a caretaker or a neighbor with a key who can go open the door. I expect you'll have lots of mold or mildew otherwise, due to the moisture that would have been in it, and the extreme heat in Florida summers.

I agree with the previous poster. If the frig was running, it would not be a problem. However, I suspect you will have all kinds of mold and mildew in it if you do not get someone to go over and open it up for you.