Prevent Blossom End Rot With Eggshells

To prevent blossom end rot, put an egg shell at the bottom of each hole when you are planing your fruiting veggies (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants). For some reason they like and need a bit more calcium than many other veggies, and an egg shell does the trick.

Source: Family lore passed down from my grandfathers (both).

By Eileen M. from Elk Grove, CA

I read a tip on Thriftyfun about saving egg shells and putting them in the freezer to use when planting tomato plants. After reading the tip, I started saving all my egg shells. I rinsed the sticky stuff out of the shells and set them aside to dry. Then I crushed them with my hands into fine bits and put them into a zip lock freezer bag and put it in the refrigerator freezer. Each time I used eggs, I added the shells to the bag in refrigerator. When the bag got full, I transferred it to the big freezer. In the spring, I had enough to put a handful in each hole with the tomato plant. It really made a difference.

We ate tomatoes, canned tomatoes, froze tomatoes and shared tomatoes with friends and neighbors. It was well worth the little time it took to save those egg shells. I'm doing the same for this years planting. Thank you Thriftyfun for that great tip.

🐛
🌻
📓