Preventing Cats From Fighting

Category Cats
Outdoor cats, as well as indoor ones, can get into scraps over such things as food and territory. This a a guide about preventing cats from fighting.

I have a cat who protects his territory! Like most cats he will chase other cats out of his yard and this can lead to fights. I was looking for a safe way to break up cat-fights without getting hurt in the process when my mother told me of her "secret weapon".

She buys several of those big squirt guns and keeps one on the front porch and she will get ready to hit one or both of the cats with a long shot of water. In an emergency, this is much faster than turning on the hose and it's safer than getting bitten.

My mother originally bought the long range squirt gun to stop her cat from climbing over her fence. It only took two attempts at escape, and now her cat stays in the yard! Just be sure you let children know this is only an emergency tool and it's only used for the cat's safety. Never tease or be cruel to an animal!

Super Soakers can squirt up to 50 feet and they are a toy made for kids, so they should be safe, but you should still use care to not pump them up very much so they have less pressure; this will increase the safety factor. They cost around $10.

By Cyinda

If your cats fight over food, separate cat food bowls where they cannot see one another eating; or in more flowery terms, here is a poem which describes this tip. Ready? Here goes:

When felines of the house do not show the utmost of forbearance, turning a feast into a feline fight and fuss,

When hissing and growling ensue, eyes wide, tails fluffed, and fur gets mussed. Whew!

There is only one thing to do

The five Federspiel felines now have different feeding sites, when getting along is just a fable, and they can't because they are fluffy and unable to watch each other feast. A fabulous feline peace may happen at last,

Quiet may reign when they cannot see,
Where the other ones go to quietly be,

When the food is hidden out of sight,
from passing felines looking out in spite.

One feline doesn't know what the other one does,
so there is not opportunity for fuss, fights, or buzz.

They find their own space, they each do what they oughta,
and when they don't they get gently sprayed with a bottle of plain water.

There is only one Federspiel feline that really complains,
he comes from a situation that caused him pain.

When he had to fight for every bit of food that he had,
It made him seem awful, misbehaved, and bad.

He is only scared and not sure what to do
when he jumps at the cats and a wild fuss ensues.

He is huge, mostly fur, and has teeth like a lion,
he prowls the house either howling or stalking or whining,

Until lately when the bowls were hidden,
and the feline five-some a new victory was given.

They eat on their own, not another in sight,
and they lay down together, finally at night.

It has been a long struggle, fights, fusses, and fits,

but it is worth if for the Federspiel kits.

Have a Happy 2013, with cats all around,
May you have happy cats all year, where love and joy will abound.

A home with a cat is more than a house,
and rarely has any sign of a mouse.

(other than on the computer.)

Love,

The Fantastic, Fabulous Fat-Fluffy Felines of the Federspiel Family who now show Feline Finesse.

We have 6 cats, including a 2 year old mother and 5 siblings that are 1.25 years old, 1 brother and 4 sisters. We are all living in 1 house, with 4 litter boxes (1-2 cats use them). They are inside to sleep, eat, and at night and outside in the day. There is tons of space outside.

Now, they are getting jealous and fighting with each other. This is quite upsetting to us. We are just a 50+ couple. The 2 sisters started to spray outside recently. All of the cats were spayed/neutered when kittens, at 4 months. All get a 30 minute walk with the wife most days. She is conscientious about treating all fairly.

Some days 2 of them may be bffs. This past week 5 of the cats are bullying and hate the 6th cat who is feeling scared, very insecure, and afraid to go on our walks now. Fights break out when one sniffs another's butt (so annoying for the sniffee), or walking by another or bullying. Dominance in family and jealousy is what is boils down to, right? What can be done? How long with this last? They used to be so happy, silly, and dumb when they were kittens, not so long ago. When cats are happy, the couple is happy!

By Betcha from Dillsboro, IN

Answers

I have had the same problem with my 3 unrelated cats.My vet has strongly suggested that I need to have one more litter box than I have cats. You have 4 litterboxes? You need 3 more. It has not helped their aggression problem, but it may help you. My vet, who is a holistic vet, has also given me a tincture, to give my male cat, who sprays. He gets 4 drops on his food, 2x a day. It helps. If your vet is not familiar with this method you may want to try Bach flower remedies. I was on their web site for animals yesterday. I don't know the address offhand, but google it.

I wish I could say I have a ready answer. I do think that your problem may be temporary as your kittens are still pretty young. They no doubt have issues we cant even imagine. I would give it a few months and hopefully they will either grow out of it or get over it. Beautiful cats!