Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House

I have a Sheltie that is about 11 months old and she is going poop in the house after I have taken her out. Sometimes she is out a long time, but won't go! She has been potty trained for a while! I work night shift and I am going through a divorce. Could she be stressing herself? If so what do I do? She is a very playful puppy and we all play with her! How do I take care of this problem?

By Linny from Park Hills, MO

Best Answer

Most of the time, when an animal is house broken, and then begins urinating or defecating in the house, it is an indication that they are desperate need of attention. With you working the night shift, and going through the divorce, she may feel like she is on the back burner. In the urination aspect of it, it could be a Urinary tract infection. I also found that if I minimize the amount of water that my dog consumes overnight, as well as his food intake, he is less likely to go in the house. I usually leave food out all day and night, along with water to allow my dogs to munch, and eat/drink at their leisure. When my animals began urinating and defecating in the house, I would take their water level down to about 1 1/2 cups overnight, and take their food down to about 1/4 of a cup.

Some animals get "bored" when their owners are sleeping, and are up & down all night, eating and drinking. When I moved into my new place, my animals knew that it was absolutely against the law to go in the house! I adopted a cat from my local shelter, and the pooping and peeing began. I corrected them, even locked them in my bedroom with me, or blocked them off from certain rooms, and it has stopped. The animal will not look you dead in your face and poop on the floor. They are waiting for the first chance when they are alone, and they will do it. You need to make sure that you correct them! Do not hit them, but you need some sort of way to tell them that it is not acceptable. Smaller dogs are very hard to potty train, and when it finally happens, they do forget sometimes, and need some reassuring.
Another alternative is the new indoor "grass" pad. It is elevated enough of the floor and has a urine run off storage container underneath. This can be used overnight, or when you are at work or out of the home for the day so that you can minimize the cleaning products that you purchase! Good Luck!

You can get a product called (Off) they are dog pads. If you watch where you buy them they are reasonable.

I have a 5 year old Pekingnese. I use them. He always goes to them. Also watch coupon websites for help on paying for them.

Anonymous

That's really frustrating answer. I dont want to clean up poop at all! Let alone spend money to train a already trained dog. I'd recomend a crate.

Pets Dogs House TrainingNovember 2, 2010
😎
📓
🐛
🌻