Public Libraries: One of Our Greatest Resources

The public library is one of our greatest resources. In every city and town, small or large; it offers adults and children alike a place to go for intellectual stimulation, knowledge, information and somewhere to congregate at a very small fee of just the price of a library card.

As my children were growing up, we were a constant at the library, whether it was researching information for a report or project, selecting books for pleasure reading or enjoying the summer programs that our local library provided. We were there and it was a place we could go enjoy and it was free.

Still a patron of the library now that my children have all grown up, I continue to enjoy its great benefits. Even my father, who is 87 years young, continues to go to his community library for competitive Scrabble games and to find the most current books on a host of subjects from politics to history to business. He just finished a book on President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama and he just started the book by Steve Jobs.

Libraries are supported by our tax dollars and I can not think of a grander way to spend my money than in the pursuit of knowledge. Knowledge is attainable to everyone just by stepping through the libraries welcoming doors.

By Cathy Heller from California

Wish all libraries had as many resources as the Richland Co., main library in Columbia SC. Love my library - libraries are needed. Please help, encourage funding.