Quick Table Centerpiece
Make this quick centerpiece for a special Valentine's dinner. This centerpiece can also be adjusted for a wedding or any other event. Just change the colors of the flowers, or add some additional trimmings.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 pink (or red) roses
- 1 soft ivy vine with small leaves (I used Algerian ivy, or hedera algeriensis)
- 1 small packet of moss
- 1 green water-retaining floral foam brick
- 1 small clear glass side plate
- thin green florist wire (26 or 28 gauge will work the best)
- pair of standard scissors
- a bowl with water
The floral brick measures 3 inches x 4.4 inches x 9 inches. It is scored in 3 places for even sizing, but you can cut it to any desired size.
See http://www.save-on-crafts.com/artesia.html for a possible supplier.
- Use the pliers and cut the wire into 2 inch strips. Bend each wire strip to make small wire hooks. You need to make approximately 50 wire hooks.
- Cut the floral foam into a square that will fit into the glass plate that you have chosen for this project.
- Soak this piece of floral foam in the bowl of water. Do not push the foam under the water, but allow it to soak up the water on its own, or else it may leave dry spots in the foam which cant be detected from the outside.
- After 20-30 seconds, or as soon as the top of the piece of floral foam is level with the surface of the water, remove the piece of floral foam from the water.
- Put moss into the water, squeeze excess water out and then affix moss around the floral foam square. Make sure that the sides of the floral foam square are thoroughly covered and use the wire hooks to keep the moss in place. Remember to also use hooks around the edges and around the bottom of the foam square.
- Once the sides are thoroughly covered, cut off any protruding pieces of moss to make the sides of the foam square neat.
- Then, put the moss-covered foam square in the glass plate and also cover the top of the foam square with moss, again using wire hooks to keep the moss in place.
- Affix the ivy vine around the sides of the moss-covered foam square, using wire hooks to keep the ivy vine in place.
- Use the pair of standard scissors to shorten the stems of the roses.
- Insert the roses at the top of the moss-covered square.
Photo 1: Cut the wire into strips and bend to make small hooks.
Photo 2: Cut the floral foam into a square.
Photo 3: Affix moss around foam square.
Photo 4: Affix the ivy vine.
Photo 5: Shorten the stems of the roses.
Photo 6: Add the roses.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.