Receiving Medicaid

My fiancée is arriving in California soon and she is currently pregnant. I can not add her on my work insurance since we are not married. I need to get Medicaid for her for now. Does she lose her Medicaid benefit on the day we get married or for how many months can she still use her Medicaid after we got married? When do we have to notify the Medicaid Department after we got married? If she can continue to use her Medicaid until the end of her pregnancy, do we need to pay them back later since we got married during her pregnancy?

Thank you.

You need to go to the Medicaid office. Once she joins your household, all income coming into the household counts and may disqualify her for benefits

Your state has a help line www.dhcs.ca.gov/.../Medi-CalMemberHelpline.aspx

If you scroll down, you can even find a local office to talk in person...which is what I prefer to do when I have complicated questions.

If you want to read up a little before you talk to them so you have all of your questions ready...there is a PDF about enrolling for pregnant women (it looks current...but verify with them that it still as as they are not always good about updating their websites)

www.dhcs.ca.gov/.../CrrntqlfdprvdrsforPE.pdf

If they are like my state, it may be hard to get through on the phone, but once you do, they are very helpful and will outline all the info you need for your gal and the baby.

They will also give you the process for how to cover the baby (either through the Medical Assistance or if there is a CHIP program available), as he/she ideally will need at least 6 well baby visits (to get shots and check growth etc.) before his/her 15 month birthday.