Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

I am receiving survivor benefits from my late husband. However I am being told that when my son turns 17 I will no longer receive a check. I thought I was supposed to receive them until I either remarry or I pass away.

You should contact your local Social Security office for correct answers to your questions.

You do not state your age so we can only assume you have not reached Social Security retirement age (60/63 or older) as that is when you may be able to receive SS benefits.

How old was your son when you were awarded survivor benefits? You may have received benefits for your son and also for yourself if your son was a young age but it may have been reduced after he became a teenager or you may have just been awarded benefits for your son's care and those payments will stop at 17 -19 years of age but generally will continue to age 18 if your son is a full time student and is still in high school.
Bear in mind - the benefit check you have been receiving is for your son's care and is not your benefit check. It is supposed to be used for his needs - housing/food/clothing/school/transportation and any other things that are for him. You should have been keeping records of how you spent this money over all the time you have been receiving "his" benefit check.

Any SS benefit for yourself will not be forthcoming until you reach SS retirement age and then you can apply using your SS earnings or your husband's earnings record - whichever is greater.

You can pay a visit to your local SS office and they can explain this in detail.
Here are some links that may help you understand why you have been receiving a monthly benefit check and your responsibility for using it.

www.ssa.gov/.../EN-05-10008.pdf

www.ssa.gov/.../EN-05-10085.pdf

finance.zacks.com/childrens-social-security-benefits...

www.livestrong.com/.../

If the check is for your son, he receives it until he graduates high school. That may be what they're talking about.