Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

I just turned 18 and have had no idea till yesterday that my mother was receiving a SS check from her deceased husband. Both my mother and father adopted me when I was two years old. She quit getting his SS checks when I turned 18. I just wanted to know if I should be receiving any money at all from it or not. If not I would like to at least know all that I can about it.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 11, 20180 found this helpful

You can receive survivor benefits up to age 19 if you are still attending high school. If not, you will have to make an appointment with social security. The statute of limitations may have passed.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 12, 20180 found this helpful

It sounds like what your adopted mom was getting was money to help pay for your care (and siblings if you had them) when her husband passed (a survivor benefit).

This PDF from the Social Security Administration has lots of info and a contact number:

You can contact them at the toll free number to get more info and see if you are still eligible for any assistance. They are the experts.

Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 13, 20180 found this helpful

You should contact your local Social Security Administration for answers to any questions about SS benefits. Asking in person is always a better idea than trying to get answers over the telephone.


  • Your mother most likely applied for survivor benefits when your father died and it was undoubtedly her decision to not discuss this matter with you.
  • we do not know how old you were when your father died so maybe a young age had something to do with her decision but there is nothing regarding Social Security benefits that says she had to inform you or that she should inform you.
  • Perhaps you could discuss this subject with your mother as to why she did not feel it necessary to inform you of the benefits as she is the only one who can answer that question.
  • Survivor benefits are provided to the parent or guardian of any child/children for helping with there care which includes many things: such as; living arrangements, food, clothing, schooling, etc.
  • You can talk to anyone at the SSA and they can explain this to you in detail.
  • If your mother used this benefit to provide for you then she probably used the money properly.
  • Ad

  • The money was for your care and not intended to be given to you unless your mother did not need the money for your care and made the decision to save part of it for you. That is something for you and your mother to discuss.
  • The SS benefits to your mother would end when you graduated from high school and at this time, I do not believe there are any benefits available for you since you are 18 and have graduated from high school.
  • Still, as I stated in the beginning, only Social Security can fully answer your questions so please make arrangements to visit their office.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal LegalJuly 11, 2018
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/11/16 20:18:27 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!