Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

My mother-in-law's husband passed away last year due to cancer. She receives survivor benefits for the 2, but she can't be the payee because she has a felony. So is it legal for me to be the payee so she can get the checks? I'm not receiving any of it.

You would have to go to social security with your documentation to become the payee.

I guess the first question might be - why would she be receiving survivor's benefits? Do you mean Social Security benefits for being over 62-65?
If he passed away last year what has been happening with the payments/checks?
Also, why would there still be benefits for 2 persons?

I'm only asking because she will probably have to answer questions like this if she wishes to legally receive any Social Security benefits.

I do not believe Social Security will handle this and she will have to seek legal assistance to make someone else payee. This may have to be done by using a Power of Attorney but an attorney would have to make that decision.

If she cannot afford to pay for legal assistance, she should contact her local family services to see if they can help.

She should visit the Social Security office so they can explain what steps she will have to take to legally receive benefits.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMay 10, 2019
🌻
🎂
🎃