Recycling Glass

Category Glass
Over the years it has become easier to recycle our household waste, particularly with the introduction of curbside recycling. This is a guide about recycling glass.

Glass is 100% recyclable. Recycling one glass bottle instead of making a new one saves enough energy to light a 100 watt bulb for 4 years. Glass produced from recycled glass instead of raw material reduces related air pollution by 20 percent and water pollution by 50 percent. Reusing glass bottles is even simpler and more environmentally friendly.

For the last several years, all of our local recycling centers have been refusing glass jars and bottles, saying there's no market for them. Is this nationwide? Is there any hope of a resurgence in the market? I'm running out of uses for empty glass jars!

By lieast

Answers

We still have glass recycling in Seattle.

Here's something I do that you might consider: I buy in bulk. At my co-op I can bring in glass containers and have them weighed at the deli counter. Then I fill them with bulk goods and when I go to the register, the cashier subtracts the weight of the container from the total weight.

Our curbside recycling is done by Waste Management, and they still accept glass. This is in central Oklahoma.

We are still able to put glass out in our recycling bin and I still find plenty of products in glass jars.

Colorado still accepts glass.