Refinishing a Bathtub

Category Bathroom
This is a guide about refinishing a bathtub. An old porcelain cast iron tub might be given a new finish and an extended useful life.

One can buy a product from Homax that is a tub refinishing kit. I am told it works very well but you have to have good ventilation. You prep it, paint it, and let it dry.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

There are fiberglass repair kits available at a home improvement or a boating store. This is a guide about refurbishing a fiberglass tub.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about restoring a claw foot tub. A restored claw foot tub can be a beautiful focal point in your bathroom.

Depending on its age it may need a lot of work to bring it back to its original beauty.

Can you refinish a bathtub?

Answers

Yes, a porcelain bathtub can be refinished, but should be done by a professional during the warmer weather. The chemicals used to refinish the tub are extremely dangerous on the respiratory system. The bathroom has to be well ventilated.

We had a porcelain tub refinished in our second 3-bedroom home.

Check out the Habitat for Humanity ReStore; used building materials for at least half price (usually more). I've found brand new items that builders have brought in after working on a project (it's cheaper for them to claim the charitable contribution on taxes than to try to reclaim money by selling it themselves). You can usually find a tub for the same price you would waste at a big box store on refinishing spray that likely won't work.

We've had our reglazed, but by a professional. It's not a DIY project, as there are lots of chemicals involved.

It's only about $350, though, so compared to buying a new one and having it installed, it's a breeze.

I hate people who post references to product without giving the make and model of the product is simply useless. Saying I bought it at Home Depot/Lowes doesn't help. Have any idea how bad customer service is at these locations and how large the stores are?

I have a pink tub. I know you can buy the kit to change the colour of your bathtub, but I would like a black bathtub. The kit only comes in white, almond, or bone. How do I get it black without calling Bath Fitters?

By Gail from Belle Ewart, Ontario

Answers

Rustoleum makes a line of paints for the bathroom. The tutorial is here:

askannamoseley.com/.../

Home Depot has a black finish. I am sure someone there can be sure to give you a good tutorial and point you to a good YouTube video for the DIY. Good luck! Make overs are so nice when they are done....like having a whole new space!!

www.homedepot.com/.../204365072

I recently refinished my claw foot tub with Homemax kit. It is not a smooth finish. Is there anything I can do to get a smooth surface? How about buffing it or putting a couple of coats of polyurthene varnish on it?

By Dixie

Answers

You could try buffing. I would contact the maker of the kit you used and ask them. I would NOT polyurethane it, that will make it slick and creating a fall hazard.

I would get a professional reglazing service

Where can I buy "Tough As Tile" Tub Epoxy for refinishing a bathtub?

Ruth

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Lowe's and Home Depot

Our bathtub is no longer getting clean when I scrub it. There are chips in the finish and rusty areas. Replacing it is out of the question for financial and design reasons. (There is beautiful matching ceramic tile surrounding the entire tub, even the ceiling!) It is about 20 years old, an American Standard brand in light blue.

Any recommendations about tub refinishing? I would prefer to have this professionally done, but have no idea about cost or durability. Thanks to all.

Askliz from Michigan

Answers:

Refinishing a Bathtub

I had my tub refinished three years ago. It cost about $350. It's lasted well. There are a couple chips in the surface where a shave cream can dropped on it. Although it's chipped, the surface hasn't discolored around that area. The only area that doesn't clean up well is around the drain. It was recommended that I use only dish detergent to clean it. That isn't strong enough to get all the soap scum. I used a scrubbing bubbles detergent yesterday and it got cleaner and didn't hurt the finish. I'd recommend having it done. (04/24/2006)

Refinishing a Bathtub

Home Depot and Lowe's both sell a home kit to refinish your tub. If you are real DIY'ers, you could try it. The cost is around $30.00. (04/24/2006)

By Memere

Refinishing a Bathtub

I would look under "bathrooms" in the yellow page phone book. In my local phone book there are several listings for bath tub reglazing, bathtub repair, and bath refinishing. (04/25/2006)

By Dean

Refinishing a Bathtub

How about doing it yourself? I rent the first floor of a 2 family, and about 10 years ago the LL asked me if I could paint the upstairs bathtub as it was a mess. I sanded any rough spots and got a bathtub painting kit in Home Depot for about 15.00. I have to say I did a great job. It looked like a brand new shiny tub. This was the first time (and last) that I ever did anything like this. It lasted nicely for a few years but for the cost, I think it is worth considering. Good luck! (04/25/2006)

By Tone

Refinishing a Bathtub

Refinished bathtubs are delicate. Do not use an abrasive cleanser! (04/25/2006)

By Holly

Refinishing a Bathtub

I've heard from at least 5 remodeling contractors and real estate agents that re-glazing tubs is NOT the way to go for durability reasons. The quotes I received for tub re-glazing ranged between $175 and $300. Apparently only two contractors would guarantee their work, and only for 1 year. I was told to consider looking at tub and shower liners instead. Good luck! (04/26/2006)

By Ann

Refinishing a Bathtub

The best company is called Duralux Bath and they use Kott Koatings. They have won several awards for their work. They don't use urethane or cancer-causing chemicals, but a porcelain finish instead. (03/10/2008)

By woody

Refinishing a Bathtub

I used to re-glaze tubs and I stood behind my work for 5 years. There are companies that still do that. I wouldn't put a liner in, because over time, water gets between the liner and the original tub. As you might imagine that would not be something that is desired. (04/19/2008)

By Eric

Refinishing a Bathtub

Refinishing your tub can be done successfully if done properly. Make sure that any re finisher you hire follows these basic steps:
1). Acid etches before primer
2). At least two light coats of epoxy adhesive primer
3). At least two - three coats of polyurethane.

They should be able to give you a minimum 5 year warranty. The process if done properly should take a better part of a day and will cost between $300-$500 depending on if it has ever been re glazed before or not, and how much repair needs to be done if any. (08/11/2008)

By George Picot