Remedy for a Well that Smells and Tastes Like Sulfur

I'm fed up. When I bought this house I had no idea what a money pit it was. I have a well. It smells and tastes like sulfur. I spent over $3000 at Culligan for a water softener and a hydrogen peroxide unit. Not only is the peroxide expensive I still smell it when I do laundry. They could never figure that out. Meanwhile you can't drink the water it tastes so bad. Then they say, oh you need an osmosis unit. Are you high? I'm a 40 yr old widow on disability. I cannot afford anymore. Isn't there another solution?

Best Answer

I'm sorry you've had such water trouble. Having lived in an area with a lot of sulphur in the water table, I can truly relate. The only real good way to get rid of the smell and reduce/eliminate this from your water is to run it through a charcoal or carbon filter. These are usually fairly reasonably priced. You can purchase one that can be installed on the main water line at the well or inside the house and has a cartridge that you replace when needed. This method is fairly inexpensive and can be installed by anyone that is of the mind to do it yourself or has a friend that can do such for them.

Best Answer

Well water can get sulfur in it from the surrounding and there isn't much you can do with the well itself. However, you can use a charcoal filtering system on your main water line that goes to your home.

This can filter out some of the smell and could help. I don't think you can ever drink this water again. If this isn't your property, I ask the owner if there is a way to drill a new well or fix this for you. It is awful that you need to live with this.

Best Answer

If you have a fairly new Culligan unit you should contact the company that installed the unit and tell them it is not working properly.

• Culligan is a pretty reputable company but most of their units are installed by franchise owners. They should have tested your water and recommended a system that would do what you wanted.
  • You should review your contract and be sure that you specified "sulfur taste and odor removal".
  • You may have to push your local company/installer and if they have not lived up to the contract then you have to take further steps.
  • Ad

• There are usually several senior centers that can give you advice on what steps you can take. Even to free attorney services if you qualify.
  • You can try other suggestions with another filtered system but most of these will not cover your whole house.
  • Google senior citizen services with your zip and hopefully you will find a list of agencies to contact.

You may need a carbon filter system. Your first step is to test the water and then call a company that deals with this.