Removing Fabric Dye From Skin

Category Miscellaneous
When dyeing cloth you want to avoid getting the color on your skin, as it can be a challenge to remove right away. This is a page about removing fabric dye from skin.

I wore a tie-dyed bandanna that covered my forehead about 8 months ago. Now I have a dark stain on my forehead that I have not been able to remove. Can anyone help?

By Liena from San Francisco, CA

Answers

Anonymous

I am rather surprised that you would still have a stain after eight months because skin sheds a layer of dead cells every 24 hours and renews itself about every 28 days. You might want to consider seeing a doctor or dermatologist in case you have an underlying health problem.

Use light "oxygen peroxyde " (old fashioned way to bleach hair to become blonde) you should be able to find that at the chemist shop. Ask for the one used for discoloring.

I too am concerned that there is still a stain there. Are you saying that you have had this stain for 8 months? How long did you wear the bandanna for? If you have had this mark on your forehead for 8 months, and you are not wearing the bandanna, I think you need to see a doctor.

It just doesn't seem possible that you could have a fabric dye stain for this long. When people dye clothes, and accidentally dye their hands, the stains are gone in a few days, even if they do nothing special.

Usually you can get rid of such stains by exfoliating the skin. I use pumice stones on my stained fingers, for the face, I would use the pads they sell for facial exfoliation. Was it an irritation that left a scar-like mark? That should be treated differently, possibly with Vit. E. oil to get rid of the stain. Also, if you have darker skin which is subject to a different sort of scarring, that also may be a factor. Be a detective & find out the source of the mark/irritation!

Have Color shot instant fabric Color on my hands how do I remove it

Thank You so much for your help !! Also after monkeying around with everything in the house , 100% acetone worked the best !!!

No discolouroration left on skin at all !!! Again Thank You

I wore a dark purple tee shirt without washing it first. Now I have numerous dark spots on my neck and chest wherever I sweated while wearing it. What can I do to lighten the spots?
Thanks!

Answers

Wet your skin and a pumice stone. Rub very gently. It should get lighter and disappear in a couple of days.

Thanks, I will try to do that once I get to store where I can purchase the stone. I am skeptical as seems it would really be tough on my chest/neck.

There are quite a few home remedies for removing dye from skin but baking soda/water paste or baking soda/vinegar or lemon juice will usually work.

Exfoliating cream or even tooth paste/water will sometimes work.

Check out the suggestions on this site and you may have some of this on hand before you make a special trip to the store. You may want to put moisturizer on your skin after you remove the dye (moisturizer may remove the dye).

uvhero.com/.../

www.favecrafts.com/.../How-to-Remove-Tie-Dye-from-Skin

Here is a link to some suggestions to maybe stop some of the dye from bleeding on your skin.

www.speedqueen.com/.../the-secrets-to-stopping-colors-from...

I have had this happen in the summer and the two ways I have removed the dye from my skin were with toothpaste--just a plain Colgate (the white paste, not the ones that are to whiten teeth or not the jelled kind--just old fashioned white color toothpaste--I guess because I don't by the fancy kind I don't know if they work or not--if that was all you had around, it couldn't hurt to try. For the stubborn stains around my neck, I used liquid nail polish remover on a cotton ball. That burned though...but it worked.

Either way, be sure to rub VERY GENTLY and then rinse very, very, very well as both can dry out your skin and like I said, the remover did burn a little. Don't use either if you have any open woulds or cuts as that will irritate them and could cause more problems.

Blessings!

Anonymous

Too late as I have already gone online and ordered a pumice stone.

How do I get T-shirt dye off my hands?

Marissa from Grafton, WI

Answers

Use a little liquid bleach such as Clorox and rub it into your hands. Works like a charm, but make sure that you wash your hands immediately so you don't get any chemical burns.

I used this and it worked great!!!!

How might I clean my skin of both black and green fabric dyes which bled from new bed sheets and now cover about 65% of me? They seem insoluble in water and only slightly so in 70% alcohol. My nearest alternative would seem to be some 320 grit emery paper. Anyone?

.

Answers

Wet your skin and very gently rub a pumice stone over the dyed areas.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMay 7, 2014
🌻
📓
🎂