Removing Perm to Return to Natural Straight Hair

In the past 2 years I got a curly perm on my hair and now it's kind of wavy, but I want it back to my natural healthy straight hair. Is it possible that it will go back to my natural straight hair? What can I do to make it back to my natural hair?

By Rome from North Hills, CA

If you had your last perm two years ago it should be completely straight by now. Have you had it cut since the last perm? Most people get their hair cut at least once in between perms and some get it cut two or three times, getting a perm at the same time it is cut for the third time.

Hair sometimes becomes curly having been previously straight, or visa versa. If the last perm you had was two years ago, it is long gone from your hair. Hair grows out about 1/2 an inch per month, so unless your hair is extremely long, there will not be any hair on your head that was ever permed.

If you meant that you have had perms regularly for the last two years, it will take a few months for the perm to wear out and for your hair to grow out. If you wear it short, it certainly will take less time.