Removing Super Glue from Eyeglasses

Category Miscellaneous
Super glue is meant to be permanent, so when you get it on something accidentally, it can be frustrating. This is a guide about removing super glue from eyeglasses.

Does anyone know how to remove super glue from plastic eyeglass lens?

By Velma

Answers

I doubt very much that you will be able to get the super-glue off because the chemicals in the super-glue will have bonded forever with the plastics in your lenses. I'm sorry because I know how very expenses eyeglasses are (I wear tri-focals).

You can try nail polish remover. The acetate in it melts the super glue, but it might also ruin the lenses. Hospitals use acetate to melt the glue if you glue your fingers together.

How do I remove super glue from the frame of my glasses? The right side of the frame that sits on your ear came off. I tried to fix it with super glue. Can I soak that piece in alcohol? There is a little hole that I need to get it out of.

Answers

Alcohol will not help super glue. If you are trying to remove it try a little nail Polish remover (acetone). It is one of the few things that will dissolve it. Apply it with a very fine tip something to get it down into the hole. Please try it on something that will not get ruined. By all means do Not try it on your glasses. Each thing reacts differently and you could possibly damage you glasses if you get it on the wrong place.

I never had to remove super glue before, let alone eye glasses but researching it looks like there are a few methods that can work.

- Removing with water, alcohol, acetone, or toothpaste.

Reference:
http://www.howt … rom-eye-glasses/

I've had to do that before-- Nail polish remover in small circles with a soft cloth worked for me.

Step 1
Mix some ammonia-free dish liquid in water to make suds.

Step 2
Dip a soft cloth folded together in the soapy water to get it wet, then press it over the glue.

Step 3
Wrap plastic wrap around the damp cloth to keep in the moisture.

Step 4
Let the glue soak for several (at least 3) hours.

Step 5
Remove the plastic wrap and use the damp cloth to wipe off the softened glue.

Step 6
Be sure to only use warm water, not hot.

Step 7
You can also use achohol,acetone,and tooth paste.

Eye Glass frames are made of different materials so be sure whatever method you try will not damage the surface (or even melt) your frames.

Step 1
If removing the super glue from a small hole is all you are trying to do then set up materials in an open area and get either a straight pin, regular pin or a good strong needle that will fit in the hole.

Step 2
There are several solutions to try so maybe you will have access to at least one of them.

Step 3
If only working on opening the small hole you can try pouring a small amount of any suggested solutions (finger nail polish remover, alcohol or soap and warm water) and dipping the needle/straight pin and punching in the hole. It may take sever tries but it should work.

Step 4
Beware of using acetone (in finger nail polish remover) on glass surfaces that have coatings as other chemicals in the acetone-containing product can corrode the coatings and sealants away.

Step 5
Remember that acetone and fingernail polish are highly flammable so do not let anyone near this operation who is smoking and do not do this near a gas stove.

Step 6
I have used Goof-Off to remove super glue from my fingers and several other surfaces and it always worked with no damage to other surfaces.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will work but i would suggest the next time you have a problem like this try taking it to where you purchased your glasses as they will many times do repairs free of charge.

I've done that also a time or two before, used super glue on things that I shouldn't of, and because the glue never seems to stay exactly where it's put, there's always an UH OH afterwards.

To remove the super glue, wrap the area of the glasses with a wet wash cloth, wet with only "bottled water". Make sure it stays wet with the water. The bottled water will degrade the glue, which as we know, nothing stays glued for too long when it's gotten wet.

Then you can peel off the glue as it lifts.

As for the tiny screw hole in your glasses, if you have or can find
a long super thin screw, one that will fit all the way through the tiny hole in your glasses, just basically turn the screw into the holes in your glasses, or use the screw that probably goes into that hole, which the threads on the screw will churn off
the glue inside the hole as it twists in circles. Be careful when you are removing the long thin screw as you don't want to mess up the existing threads inside the eye glasses hole.
A lot of eye glass frames are manufactured with plastics that will react chemically to acetone or many things, and they may melt, or become deformed where the chemical reaction actually heats up the plastic.

I got super glue on my glasses. How can I remove it?

By Dotty

Answers

If they are plastic and you can't used acetone all I think of is to leave them in water overnight to see if it will soften the glue enough to get it off without scratching.

I thought about acetone also. That's the only thing I know that works. I would try very little on a cotton swab. Good Luck.

How do I remove super glue from plastic eyeglasses?

Connie

Answers:

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

I would take the glasses to an optics shop and ask them, especially if the lenses are not glass (polycarbonate), are coated, or anything other than plain old glass. If they are glass, I would think acetone would be fine for the lenses; but I would be careful of the frame.

Probably worth the trip to the eyeglasses store, considering the price of glasses. (09/13/2008)

By Jilson

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

I was looking for something on wainscoting, did a search and found this info was on the Bob Vila web site under frequently asked questions:

How do I remove Krazy Glue from glasses, remove Super Glue from prescription lenses?

I would be careful if you have special coatings or plastic lenses as acetone or nail polish remover may damage it, also. Super Glue/Krazy Glue aka cyanoacrylate, may have a chemical reaction with many substances and actually becomes part of it. That is one of the reasons why it works so well.

Here is a how-to on "How Super Glue works". science.howstuffworks.com.

This is a link to the company that makes Super Glue: elfy.com.

And this is how Krazy Glue states to remove it: krazyglue.com.

Sure hope this helps.
(09/16/2008)

By JOAN

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

Read your recommendations. Although had to wince when I put acetone on my eyeglass lens. Three of four swipes with a Q-Tip and it was gone.
Thanks, just saved $150.00 (11/22/2008)

By zamboniz

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

If your glasses lens has become detached from the frame and is marked with super glue, soak the lens in acetate-free nail varnish remover (in UK obtainable at Boots stores @ 1.25 pounds for a bottle) for 24 hours. Then dry off the lens and use a cotton bud soaked in the nail varnish remover to rub the super glue mark. From time to time gently scratch the mark with your fingernail and then resume rubbing with the cotton bud. (03/21/2010)

By Bobo9

How can I remove super glue from my eye glasses?

Janet from Corbin, KY

Answers:

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

You can use acetone nail polish remover. It might remove some coatings from eyeglass lenses. I guess that might be better than having super glue on them, though:) (02/05/2007)

By thriftyboo

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

Yes, I removed glue from my glasses using acetone. I saturated part of a facial tissue with acetone (to the point it was dripping) and put it over the dried glue on the glasses for about 20 minutes. Then I was able to use my fingernail to pry (actually "pop" is a more accurate word) the glue off. I tried to avoid scraping the glasses with my fingernail. It was more a matter of getting the right angle and popping the blobs of glue off. Good luck! (03/03/2007)

By Liz