Repairing Floors Damaged by Pet Urine

Category Floors
Pet urine can damage many types of flooring including wood, tile, and stone. This is a guide about repairing floors damaged by pet urine.

In a condo I own the tenant's 2 cats and 1 dog urinated to a 70% penetration rate on ceramic tile on the first level, the gypsum concrete on the second level and the plywood subflooring on the stairs and third level. This evidently happened over a three year period. Do I need to replace all the flooring? Please help me find a solution.

By Kay

Answers

Lots can be done with Krud Kutter (biodegradable) from the hardware store. For mold/mildew and stain. Many uses indoor and out. Multi surface product from plastic to tile to wood to boats to laundry to shower to wood decks (super plus on that one). Doesn't appear to be harmful to the environment, although I wouldn't spray my frogs with it.

Couple more products i really like after caring for animals in trouble for many years, is citra-solv ( i buy the gallon on internet) and also Nature's Miracle. Both good for odor control. Never use anything you could not use next to a bird. No poisons.

I have not dealt with this problem and ceramic tile but have experience with other floorings (vinyl, carpet, hardwood). I think you probably do need to replace the flooring and take a long look at any sub flooring. Anytime the urine gets all the way to subfloor you have to remove your flooring at least that far to let it dry and then seal it with something like Kilz before putting new flooring down.

My grandma had a condo with carpet and an incontinent cat for years. When the cat passed away, she had the carpet replaced. They took out both the carpet and pad but installed new carpet on the same day without addressing the soaked sub flooring. Obviously, that didn't eliminate the cat pee odor.

At another house where we had some peeing problems, we replaced carpet with hardwood floors. We cleaned the stains on the sub flooring the best we could, then let them dry for a few days before sealing them with Kilz. This approach was successful.

The wood floors around my furniture has turned dark from dog peel, can I do anything to STOP and repair the areas

My 5 dogs are house trained, have been for years, they are 15 years old, miniature Poodles. I installed a doggie door a few years ago to make it easy for them to go relieve themselves. For the past month, I don't know if all of them are peeing and pooping in the house while I'm at work. I've caught at least 4 of them peeing inside while I'm home.

Now all I smell when I come inside is ammonia/pee. I clean it up when I notice it, but the majority of the main room is carpet. I'm at the point of ripping the carpet out and laying plastic sheeting over the whole floor. Where they've peed on laminate wood floor it's showing damage too. I just am at a loss.

Answers

Nature's Miracle will remove stains and odor, but not disintegration damage. Your dogs are old. They may have incontinence problems because of age. Your vet can examine them and treat if an infection is the culprit. If it is old age, you may have to diaper them.

Your problem is being compounded by having 5 babies to contend with.

This problem probably all started with one dog having a urinary problem - probably urinary incontinence similar to the same condition as most seniors develop.

Once one dog has wet in one spot, all the others will follow suit and most cleaners will not remove the smell (maybe to humans but not to animals). Only an enzyme cleaners made just for this problem will totally remove the smell.

The problem you are having is the smell is now in the carpet and padding and most likely, only a professional cleaner will be able to remove the smell (if they can).

If there is no way to leave your dogs outside while you are away, you may not have any choice but to remove the carpet but that may not eliminate the problem.

Your vet may be able prescribe medication if he/she can determine which dog (s) is having the problem but I believe this may be what the future holds for them unless you can find the problem and retrain your babies.

Sometimes you can break the habit (if there is no smell anywhere) but it would probably take more time than you have.

Here is an article that deals with this (common) problem.

www.petmd.com/.../incontinence-senior-dogs-what-do...

Anonymous

Have you thought about getting a large wire crate/kennel and, if they all get along, putting them in it while you are away? If you put soft blankets, water dish and toys, if they like them, in with them they will soon accept it, I think. You could also diaper all of them, and add pads to the diapers, if you need to. Maybe this would help.