ChairsFurniture

Repairing Recliner Upholstery

How do I repair the upholstory on the arms of a recliner where my cat clawed them? Please see photo of chair arm below. Is it easier to repair/recover?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

If you don't mind on the looks. I'd patch it up. Then put a throw blanket to hide the patch.

what is it made out of? Amazon sells many patch kits

This may not be an easy repair and unless you are really good at this sort of thing - it may not be very attractive. If you are willing to live with that, I have a few suggestions.

(Before you start - try to smooth the damaged material/stuffing back into the area/material). I know this will work (maybe my instructions are passable) because I have done this myself.

It does not look like the area is one that moves so you may be able to just cover it with a similar type of material. Many Walmart type stores or craft stores sell similar upholstery material and it can be purchased in 1/2 to 1 yard pieces. You will also need heavy duty thread and an upholstery or canvas needle (a heavy duty hooked needle works well).

Measure your damaged area and buy a piece several inches larger. Lay the material over the area and cut to size, leaving at least 1-2 inches all around the outer area. At this point you can hem the repair piece or just start at the top and fold extra material under and sew/attach to your good/undamaged material. Just attach/work/sew all the way around the damaged area. This will work but you may have to also sew across the material in several places to make the material tighter and not bulge.
Spray the new material with cat repellent.

There are fitted covers for chairs and sofas. They come in different colors and patterns. I would buy that. You're not going to be able to repair this inexpensively.

Thank you for your great idea. I was thinking the same thing. I will buy a cover for the chair. Its an old ragged chair but it was my moms before she passed away and i would like to keep it. Thank you again

That can't be repaired. You can recover it, but unless you know how you would have to have an upholster do it, and they would probably charge you more than the chair is worth.

However first I think you need to ensue the cat won't do this again, regardless of if you get a cover for it or reupholster it or replace it, or you will be in the same situation again.