Repairing Sofa Upholstery

I replaced my 25 year old living room set with a new one thinking it would last rest of my life. Unfortunately I got 2 puppies that have a "licking problem" and they have licked the fabric to the point of it looks like it has holes in it. They have licked off the top layer of fabric. I tried matching the color with fabric paint and now it looks even worse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By betty44 from Slate Hill, NY

Enjoy the pups and until they out grow the licking phase just keep pretty (washable) blankets, sheets, or covers on the couch. When they get older and stop licking, consider getting slipcovers made or if you are handy making your own. There are some great easy how to make slip cover videos on YouTube.

PS. For licking issues my late Carmel was deterred with bitter apple spray from a pet store. Our Clarence ignores it and keeps licking. I would have never tried it, but out vet recommended it. There is bitter cherry spray also. Never tried it. Maybe your vet can share his/her preference.

You can get stretch to fit slipcovers online. You can also put throws and blankets on your sofa