Repairing Tears on Microfiber Furniture

Category Sofas
When furniture fabric is torn, fixing it can be a challenge. This guide is about repairing tears on microfiber furniture.

I have a hole in the foot rest area from the heel of a shoe. How do I repair it?

Answers

I saw online this site that discusses how to fix this problem:

"I managed to stumble across a site suggesting using a Fray Check on the edges of the tear to prevent further tearing, and then sewing the hole shut, but didn't give good instructions for sewing the hole shut. So, I decided to make my own instructions, and created a way to sew the hole shut so that it not only blends, but should be very, very sturdy, even with 6 kids jumping on it."

http://homemake  -microfiber.html

From sfgate.com:

You can repair a burn in a microfiber couch.
Microfiber is a synthetic material commonly used to make mats, knits, filters, clothing and upholstery. Most microfibers are made of petrochemicals; because of this, they readily burn. To hamper volatile ignition, microfibers of this sort are coated with a flame retardant. This means that if a burning ember from something such as a cigarette or a cigar settles onto a microfiber couch arm, it will burn a hole through the fabric, but the material around the hole will not combust. Because of this characteristic, a burn can be successfully repaired.

Sponsored link
Link to How-To Videos
Search Videos w/ HowToSimplified On How to Do it Yourself - Free!
www.howtosimplified.com
1
Cut the edges off of the burned area. The burned area will be slightly discolored and possibly melted. Remove all signs of the burn or melting.
2
Dab fabric glue around the edges of the fibers that have just been cut. This keeps them from fraying. Don't use too much glue -- a little bit here goes a long way.
3
Cut a piece of fabric from the upholstery where it won't be noticed. Usually on the bottom of the furniture, you can snip off a piece large enough to cover a burned area. Make sure the piece overlaps the area by at least 1/4 inch. This doesn't have to be exact, but there needs to be a bit of overlap to make a successful patch.

4
Fluff out the stuffing in the hole so it rises slightly higher than the level of the unburned material next to it. Do this by pulling the stuffing up out of the hole, then slightly pressing it back down again. If the stuffing has been burned and won't fluff, insert a cotton ball. A cotton ball can be trimmed to fit so it will go into the hole and make a solid base for the patch.
5
Place fabric glue over the outside edges of the patch. Run a glue bead around the entire outside edge.
6
Place the patch onto the burned area and using a tweezers, press it straight through until the entire patch is inside. Position the patch so it completely covers the area. The fluff beneath the patch automatically presses up onto the bottom of the patch and makes a seal between the glued edge and the inside of the hole.

Things You Will Need
Small scissors
Fabric glue
Fabric
Stuffing, if applicable
Cotton ball

How do I repair a tear on a micro material sofa?

Answers

Anonymous

My husband has a fabric lift chair and he digs his heal into the foot rest upholstery. There is starting to be some small tears. How can I repair it or what do you recommend covering it with?

How do I repair holes in microfiber furniture?

Mary

I have a microfiber couch that has a rip in the seat cushion. The hard part is the cushion is attached to the couch and won't come up so I cannot just put a piece of fabric under it. Any suggestions for what I can do? Also what should I use?

By Kristen

Answers

Go to this website and see if it helps.
http://homemake  -microfiber.html

Not sure if this would be what you're looking for, but seems as though it might work: Heat n Bond. You should test it on a piece of scrap fabric first, before using it on your sofa, but it looks as though this wouldn't be too noticeable. https://www.you  ch?v=dmDvjE14tek

I bought a Miami Dolphins microfiber couch a couple of years ago and just recently noticed some little tiny holes on the back of the couch. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Answers

You can use fray check to make sure the holes don't get bigger. Then darn the holes closed with matching thread.

How do you fix a tear in a micro suede couch?

By Michele from Columbus, OH

Answers

I need to know how to fix a very tiny tear in my one week old Swede couch.

My dog chewed a hole in my microfiber couch. How can I repair it? The tear is a little smaller than a baseball.

By nlhargrave from Orange, TX

Answers

Just wondering if you found out a way to repair your hole because our bulldog just did the same to our couch. Thanks either way for the help.

I need help repairing small tears in a microfiber sofa.

Crystal from Lexington, KY

Answers

Nothing available that just told me what I wanted to know. Plenty of suggestions as to where I can purchase velvet and even how to sew it when making up a garment but NOTHING on how to repair a tear.

I have a microfiber couch which has two small torn places, close together. How can I patch it without it being noticeable?

By Ratmomma from Knoxville, TN

What can I use to repair a tear in my microfiber chair? The tear is on the side of the chair.

Tonya from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:
Repairing Tears in Microfiber Furniture 05/20/2006
I would try a piece of heat-n-bond.Slip it into the tear and CAREFULLY use an iron to bond it.Be sure to match it up before you put the iron to it.
By Vicky. (Guest Post)
Repairing Tears in Microfiber Furniture 05/22/2006
I too have little tears in my microfiber couch. Where can you get "heat & bond"? I have never heard of it. Do they have it a Rag Shop or Micheals craft stores? or is it something you have to get from furniture stores?
By kimmcg

I have two tears in a fairly new microfiber sofa. One is about 3 inches, the other is 2 1/2 inches. How can I repair this?

Janet from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Answers:

Repairing a Tear on a Microfiber Sofa

Go to Walmart or any craft or fabric store and buy a bottle of "Fabri-Tac" fabric glue for under $5. It's the brand in a clear bottle. I like it because it's one of the strongest brands and one of the only brands that says it can be machine washed, machine dried, and also dry-cleaned, plus it's the fabric glue that most pros use. (Use it later to hem and patch your jeans!)

Next, you need a small piece of a medium weight woven fabric (like muslin for example). Cut it just a little bigger than the tear. You'll have to tuck the piece of fabric in and under the tear. Then squirt in a "tiny" bit of the Fabri-Tac glue, then wait about 1 minute until the glue is slightly tacky, then carefully press the torn microfiber to the glued piece of (muslin) fabric.

Try to not get any glue on the top side of the microfiber. If you do, you may be able to wipe it off w/a damp Q-tip before it dries. (04/05/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Repairing a Tear on a Microfiber Sofa

Repairing a Tear on a Microfiber Sofa

An alternate way might be to take a tiny piece of fusible webbing or fusible interfacing (ask for it in the cutting department of a fabric store). You'd slip this inside of the tear. If you choose fusible interfacing you'd need to make sure the fusible side was "up" (towards the microfiber). Then instead of actually touching it with an iron, you'd need to hit the microfiber with only steam (to fuse it to the interfacing) OR you could use a Teflon pressing sheet. Do NOT press directly on the microfiber with your iron. You may be able to just barely touch it with a curling iron. But, I'd try fusing the interfacing to the microfiber with steam first.

This may be a lot less messy than my previous post, but it won't be as permanent as the fabric glue method. (04/05/2008)

By Cyinda

Repairing a Tear on a Microfiber Sofa

Cyinda, I have a tear in my loveseat, but it's not microfiber. It's a soft fabric with a velvety feel, but it isn't velvet. I am pretty sure I would not be able to successfully apply heat to it. I am wondering how the Fabri-Tac would work. In my case, the tear is several inches one way and about 3 inches another, so that the foam beneath is exposed. I'm not really concerned about looks since we don't often have visitors, but I am wondering if the Fabri-Tac would look bad or feel hard if I just put a patch of fabric over the outside of the tear? (04/06/2008)

By avalinejet

Repairing a Tear on a Microfiber Sofa

Avalinejet: Don't worry, the Fabri-Tac won't dry very stiff. But, don't apply the patch on the outside, do it from the inside of the "velveteen" type fabric. (It'll stick much better and look better too!) Just make sure your inside patch is about an inch bigger than the tear. A cut up old pillow case or sheet will work for the patch. To do a nice job, use a fabric marker pen, acrylic paint, or a permanent marker to color the patch to match the couch fabric first. That way, if part of the patch shows through a bit, it'll still look okay. Then with something sharp (like a knitting needle, crochet hook, or a pen) push the patch inside the tear. (A butter knife might do also the trick to wedge the patch inside the tear.) Next squirt just a little of the Fabri-Tac on top of the patch (a little goes a long way). Try not to get glue on the velvet outside the tear. Then press down on the glue and the patch with your fingers or something like a crochet hook or the tip of a butter knife. You should probably set a thick phone book on the tear while it dries, but make sure to put a piece of tinfoil or wax paper between them so the phone book won't stick to the sofa! (04/06/2008)

By Cyinda

I have a microfiber sectional sofa that now has a small tear in it. Wondering what I can use to repair this. It has not gone all the way through the cushion fabric that I can tell.

Thanks,
Penny from AL

Answers:

Repairing a Tear on a Microfiber Sofa

I have a new microfiber set and have been having so much trouble with the material tearing! The repair guy has been here three times already and he has used regular fabric glue to repair the tears. But if the tears are around a button hole that is the worst. When button holes are put on microfiber the holes stretch out as the furniture is sat on. Its ridiculous. The manufacturer is taking my set back and letting me pick out another set (not with out a fight of course). Next time I won't get microfiber. I am noticing tears in numerous places now. (01/06/2007)

By kimmcg