Repairing Worn Porcelain Sinks and Bathtubs

Category Bathroom
Porcelain Sink
Harsh cleaners can damage a porcelain tub finish. This guide is about repairing worn porcelain sinks and bathtubs.

Can anyone tell me how to repair or reglaze a bathroom sink where the finish is worn off around the drain?

Pat

I had the same problem, after hiring Bath Gene to paint my sinks and bathtub. The paint wore off around the drain. My sinks are white, so I purchased some porcelen paint touch up at Home Depot. It last about a month with daily use, so I just dab on a little more and let dry throughly. It is a very small bottle, but last over a year. Hope this helps

Where I work, we only repair the marble sinks we make if they are messed up in a small spot. You will need some of the gel coat from the manufacturer, or you might be able to buy some from a hardware store, or wherever the sink was purchased. Make sure it's the right color. You'll have to catalyze the gelcoat, and put it on the worn spot. When it gets hard, you will have to sand it smooth, and buff it.

If the damaged spot is too big, just throw the sink in the garbage and get a new one. I'd say too big is bigger than 1/4 inch square, but you can give it a try and see how it looks.

I PULLED THE STOPPER OUT OF MY BATHROOM SINK AND THE PIN BROKE OFF THAT HOLDS DOWN HOW DO I REPAIR IT""

I have a nasty crack in my porcelain sink, which is spoiling my lovely bathroom. The sink is sunk in to a 5ft long marble top so I can't just replace it - it was so expensive! can anybody give me any ideas as to whether it can be mended?

I have two worn spots in my porcelain tub. I bought a commercial bottle of something that was supposed to cover them after I lightly sanded the area around them. It worked for a little while, but now the spots are fully revealed again. Can anyone suggest a product that worked wonderfully? Thank you very much!

By Casey from Plano, TX

Answers

In California there is a company named Miracle Method they refinish tub and tops. They use a porcelain paint.

We often use it in stead of replacing fixtures. The finish is not as durable as the original but, it does extend the life of a fixture.

Rygobus

My bathroom sink has a dark color around the drain. It looks like the porcelain is worn off from cleaning. I would like to repair it myself. Does anyone know what I can use and how would I do this?

By garymac221

Two spots have appeared in my bathtub again where the white porcelain finish is gone. I previously used a product I bought at either Home Depot or Lowe's (can't remember which one!). While it was gloppy and I was not able to paint it on smoothly, it did cover the spots for about 2 years. The repair finish came off and now I'm stuck with the two spots again.

Do any ThriftyFun members have experience with a product that works?

Thanks very much!

By Casey