Replacing a Missing Cap or Lid

Category Reusing
It is frustrating when a container's lid goes missing. Often lids and caps from other containers will fit. If you keep some lids of various sizes on hand, you may be able to replace a missing one. Other materials such as foil, plastic, and paper can be used in a pinch.

The silicon cap ended up missing but I'm not going to let that stop me. A rubberband and a coffee filter later and I was enjoying my treat!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

Every once in a while, you lose a lid to something important. I once plugged my waterbed with a small lid from a Vicks Vaporub jar. It worked for 6 years.

Lids are universal if you find the perfect replacement for what you misplaced. As many times as I have moved lately it's a wonder I have a gas or toothpaste cap anymore. Especially frustrating are craft lid losses. Boxes like the graduating sizes must have a lid to work.

When I finally had the time to unpack most of my crafts, I found the smallest one gone. So, I looked for a good replacement and found it in a cottage cheese lid. It fits perfectly and is free.

Other hints about lids are: most Pringles lids cover yogurt cups, some juice lids cover missing caps from creamer bottles, etc.

Next time you find something gone, don't toss it or recycle it, just look around your house and find another "part" to complete your item.

NOTE: If you absolutely can't find a lid, in this case at least, simply flip the top box over and decorate with the bottom being the top. This will only work for the top one of course.

Hope that helps!

I have found that the tops of chapstick type lipsticks get lost a lot around kids. I use the tops smaller markers as a replacement. Some of them fit perfectly. I keep a collection of these caps for just such a purpose. The markers quickly dry out when left uncovered so I just recycle them.

By RacingtoElrod

When I find good gallon jugs in recycling, I often keep them to put water ahead, or mix weed killer or plant food. But sometimes, the caps are missing. Foil is a great stop gap but not a permanent solution.

Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 16, 2019
🎃
🌻
🎂