Reusing Candle Wax

Often after burning those favorite candles, you are left with chunks of leftover wax that often gets thrown away. I have come up with a way to not only recycle the left over pieces, but to make one of a kind candles with thrift store cups, wine glasses, parfait glasses, canning jars, etc. I melt the candle wax and keep costs down from buying those pricey candle kits.

Total Time: up to 1hr.

Yield: 2 lbs. wax approx. 6 to 8 candles

Link: http://www.hometalk.com/aillausky

1. Clean veggie cans that will serve as a double boiler for melting the wax.
  2. I chose to use a stockpot and approximately 2 in. of water. Heat on low.
  3. In each can put pieces you do not mind mixing (if they are scented). Fill can 1/2 to 3/4 full.
  4. I chose to do a color. For this process I used a crayon to tint the wax and added it to the wax while melting the pieces together. To help it along you can use a Popsicle stick or in my case a wooden skewer to blend the color.
  5. Ad

6. After the wax is blended, a wick is placed in the bottom of your glass or other container. I chose to use the longer wicks with a metal base, held in place with my skewer or Popsicle stick. Pour in wax.
  7. Let set and harden.

I repeated the process to make gifts for school teachers, as wedding decor, decorative home decor, and "just because" gifts! The possibilities are endless.

I kept looking for a spot where you might say what essential oil you added for health and for aroma......can you do this with the wax and which kind?

Hi Carol,essential oil was optional, but if needed add 2 caps per 6 to 8 oz.You can add more if you want them stronger.This can be purchased at your local craft store.(Add while wax melting).Thank you!!!

These are great. We found another use for the leftover wax, not as pretty a use but functional. We have one of the little crock pot type deals that you set the jars of wax in instead of lighting the candles. When the wax gets low, we use the melted wax and pour into cardboard egg cartons for fire starters for the campfires.

Helps to get the fire going and smells great : ). We found it is better to either double the cartons to prevent leakage when filling or set the carton on foil for protection of your table or counter while filling. Then once they are solid, just break off individual cups and store in a ziplock bag ready for the next campfire.

That's a great idea also,Thanks!

Crafts Candle MakingJanuary 12, 2016
📓
🌻
🐛