JapaneseInternational

Salmon Chan-Chan Yaki

Chan-chan yaki is a Japanese dish that uses fish and vegetables with a sweet and savoury miso sauce. They say that "chan-chan" is the sound the spatulas make when used to flip and piece up the ingredients on the hot pan. This is typically made on an electric griddle at the table with everyone sitting around, but you can use a big pan and serve it up in plates with rice.

My mother is Japanese, but she only just introduced me to this phenomenal dish. Even though its ingredients and method of cooking are rather simplistic, the flavours blew my mind. I was a fan at first bite. I hope you try this delicious dish.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 2 to 3 servings

1. In a small bowl, mix the miso paste, sake and sugar together.
  2. Place half the butter on the pan and add the salmon pieces. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
  3. Cook for a couple minutes, then flip over.
  4. Place remaining butter on the pan. Add bell peppers and asparagus. Saute for a couple minutes.
  5. Pour in cabbage and onions. Do not mix, just allow to cook for a minute.
  6. Pour the miso sauce mixture all over fish and vegetables.
  7. Break up the salmon and stir everything together. When cabbage has wilted, everything is ready to eat. Serve with rice.