Saving Money on Hair Removal

Category Removal
Laser Hair Removal
There are quite a few options for removing unwanted hair, from going to a salon, to many home use products and techniques. This is a guide about saving money on hair removal.

I once, many years ago, bought a half jar of NADS hair body sugaring product. It is non-toxic, edible, and it is great! That was over 20 years ago, now it is so expensive - $24.00. Here is a version I make for next to nothing just for my eyebrows. It does hurt so pull the sock off really fast!

Directions:

Heat for one minute or less in Microwave until bubbly, allow to cool for a bit, then place in fridge to cool off quicker. When thick, get a popsicle stick and apply to hair you want gone under eyebrow. Put a sock on it. Rub three times then rip off and try not to scream. Pull off against direction of hair growth for best results. Wash off and take a Benadryl.

Source: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/bodysugaring.html

By Robyn from Hampton TN

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Does it hurt worse to do this or to get your eyebrows waxed?

I was wondering... Would it be a good idea to start early to use Bladeless Hair Removal system on an 8 year old girl who is starting to show dark hair growth on legs, to maybe, deter or make hair weaker and less noticeable when she goes through puberty?

Would this deter or encourage hair growth?

I ask, because I was very hairy at that age, on my legs and arms and always felt embarrassed around other girls, because of it, when they asked, why I was so hairy.

Would starting before puberty retard hair growth or waiting after puberty?

Does anyone know, or ever inquired with a doctor?

adelanoval

I dont think its a good idea. Shaving just makes the hair grow back darker and thicker. I would wait a few years then let her shave her legs on her own with a regular razor. About having hairy arms, try using prexoide. Or...even lemon jucie. The hair will still be there, just lighter and less noticable.

If she feels embarrassed about it then absolutely try it.It will not however change her hair growth patterns.It won't make it grow in darker and thicker,that is an old wives tale.Hair naturally darkens and thickens due to hormones at puberty.Hair that has been shaved grows back with a sharp tip (due to being cut off with a razor) but it isn't actually thicker or more coarse,it just feels that way.By the way I am a Cosmetologist.Good luck!:)

NO!!!!!! dont do it!!! my sister's daughter tried using nare on her legs when she was about 11 yrs. old and it left terrible burns on them!!!!! at that age they shouldnt worry about it anyways. just let her be a kid!

I am with Patty. You need to be very careful about letting a child using Nair or anything like that. It does leave burns and they might be allergic and you not know it. My nieces both have darker hair on legs and arms and they both shaved way earlier than my 14 yr old daughter did. But she didn't have an issue with dark hair. I would use Intuition razors for the first time use. It is a smoother razor with cream already on it. It glides so easy. Wish they would have had them when I started shaving my legs. This is all I let my daughter use and she is 14! Good luck with this.

I think if your daughter is embarassed by the hair on her legs or is being teased by other girls, let her shave her legs. My nieces are 13 and they've been doing it for a couple of years now. My sister bought them safety razors and showed them how to do it.

My daughter started shaving without my permission at age 9. I found out because she cut her leg pretty bad. She did have very dark hairy legs. I would advise you to show them how to shave because they are going to do it anyway.

Use one of those machines that pull hair out by the roots. Painful at first, but much less so with time. The remaining hair grows back thinner, lighter and much less noticeable. The leg hair doesn't have to be very long to use it.

Been using an original Epil for years and wouldn't trade it for anything. Barely have any hair now and it's mostly invisible.

Epil has since come out with newer versions, so you don't have to go looking for the original style.

It helps if you do it for your daughter, so that she isn't doing it to herself at first.

Have the person extend the leg and then you quickly zoom the machine over it up and down, up and down. Then rub your hand (or your daughter can do this) up and down her leg, as this fools the brain and takes away a lot of the discomfort.

Wish I had one of these when I was a preteen!

Think of it this way, when the leg hair starts to grow in, the roots won't be all that thick. If you wait a couple of years to treat with an Epil, it's going to be even more painful and during the waiting period, there will have been a lot of cuts from a razor and all of the shaving will be inspiring the roots to become thicker. So stop it in its tracks!

Dear, I grew lotsa dark black hair at the age of 10...and then a mustache...shaving is okay..show her how, but if it were me and because you went thru this yourself...I'd take her to a dermatologist and check out laser hair removal....how I wish I could've afforded something other than nair, hair bleachers...only to be called 'Santa' the hair is still there even when bleached!..and epilators...oh my goodness...they are painful...if you have the money...I'd choose laser hair removal! From Still Hairy and Hates It!

Thank you ladies for taking the time to respond.

My daughter is not aware of any hair situation yet, so she has not shown any concern over hair and/or any embarrassment "yet". Therefore, for now I just use a Peroxide cotton ball to start making her hairs on legs, less noticeable.

When she will undoubtedly start the hair removing process, I will make sure she uses bladeless removal first, then later the Intuition razor, and lastly, for longer term effect, I will take her to where I go to have my legs waxed, since they use an european "green wax" hair removal system, which thicker and less painful then the honey color wax.

Uniwax Center European System

771 17th Street,

Miami Beach, FLorida 33139

(305) 531-7777

:)

I was wondering if anyone has had laser hair removal done and how bad it hurt and just how long did it last? I have hair on my chin and am really embarrassed by it I have read that it is not permanent but I am about ready to do it anyway because I am desperate. Also, am I a freak of nature or do more women than I know of have hair on their chin? Any help would be nice. I have to shave my chin twice a day now it is so bad and my skin is too sensitive there to use Nair or wax. Thanks.

Mindy from Washington, IN

I am just wondering how to use pumice stone for hair removal on one's body. Using silky mitts right now but want something more economical. Don't fancy going into a car place in Abdn and asking for fine grain sandpaper so wondered if anyone knew any details.

Thanks,
Jo H from Abdn, UK

Um ow. I do know they have things I've seen in the hair removal section, you rub it on you and the hair "comes off". Course I would imagine that your skin does too, so unless you need some good exfoliation, I would try a cream!

Or laser if you can! I am saving my money, had one treatment already and am AMAZED!!!!

Nope I wouldn't go for laser permanantly. The thought of permanantly removing what God has put there for a purpose scares me. Even if I don't know what the purpose behind half a mountain of hair is.

But thanks anyways

I see what you mean, but honestly I don't think God wanted me to get side effects of a birth control 15 years ago that puts man hairs on my chin! :-) I am sure there would be a few ladies at my church that would agree with me too! But I hope you find something!

In my class i have some Muslin girls and thy showed me how they do hair removal in their country, like doing eye brows or on the chin...etc... i got them to show me and do my eyebrows.... then when i got home I did my chin.

they use a piece of thread about 10 to 12 inch... they tie a knot to unite both ends... then they put it around each hand index and thumb... the knot is on the right hand side. then they make 3 to 4 twist with left hand thread...then they catch the hair pass the knot on right hand side and side the knot down by opening their left index and thumb wider...so the knot moves to the hair and removes it by pulling it out... once you get the hang of it its fast... and a touch painful...but not so bad... i love this method I hope it helps. If you try it let me know how you like it... i may need more practice for the eyebrows... but the chin piece of cake.

one more thing ... i tried lazer.... i have some hair that was white i was told dark hair gets better results.... so lazer does not work as well on it... i spent over $1000 and don't see much progress so i quit.... it is expensive and may not always work for some individuals... i feel i wasted my money

What are your best hair removing tips?

By Alvena from WA

How long do Smooth Away pads last?

By doobiegirl from Springfield, MO

Does anyone know a recipe or store bought product for a natural or non-chemical hair remover for ladies? Sorry if this is not a good request. I'm new to thrifty fun.

Mommykelly

I found a recipe on the internet a few years ago for something called "Persian Sugar Wax". I don't remember the exact recipe, but I think it was 2 cups of sugar, 2 tablespoons of water and two tablespoons of lemon juice, boiled to the color of strong tea. If you do a search on the internet you can probably find the exact recipe. Then you use as any normal wax you buy in the store. I would recommend buying Sally Hansen's Ultra Sooth Skin Relief Lotion. It soothes your skin, and prevents the ugly red bumps.

Unless the hair is embarassingly thick, dark and on your top lip I would suggest you stop being dictated to by fashion and 'beauty' magazines and leave your body hair alone! If you think about it rationally you will find that the removal of female body hair, like men shaving, is dictated by social pressure and media driven fashion. It has nothing to do with health or natural beauty. Think for yourself and save money!

Regards

Jo

I found this recipe online:

Home Made Nads Hair Remover

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup honey

Dust the area you intend to remove hair with cornstarch first.

Mix the ingredients, and microwave it for 2 min. stir and microwave it for about 20-30 seconds more.

Let mixture cool until reaching a ((safe)) temperature .

"very warm"

Spread a thin strip of the mixture onto your leg using a wooden popsicle stick to spread it on.

((Very Important)) pull the skin tight in the area you are planning to remove hair from

Cover the "Nads" mixture with a strip of cotton fabric.

Rub the strip three times IN the direction of the hair growth

Let mixture cool down then pull the cotton strips

off in the OPPOSITE direction of your hair growth.

TIP#1;

Occasionally reheat the mixture for about 23 seconds in the microwave while using.

TIP#2;

The stretching & tightness of the skin when applying your cotton strips are ESSENTIALfor successful hair removal

thanks for the tips and advice.

mommy kelly

What's pumice stone like and how exactly do you use them?

I would like to know if anyone has tried any of the electric or battery hair remover devices?

Please let me know how they work and your favorite. It's for those few chin hairs we get when we get older. Thanks

PICO from St. Paul, Alberta

Anyone use a home Vector Electrolysis Hair Removal?

Was it worth the money, and did it work?

Ann

Has anyone tried this "Make at Home NADs Recipe for Hair Removal"? pioneerthinking.com I am wondering if it actually works the same. I love Nads, but don't want to pay all the money. I only use it on my eyebrow area.

Robyn

By Robyn

I would like to know if anyone has tried the NO NO hair removal system? It is expensive and like others will probably become cheaper in time.

By Little suzy from OH