Saving Money on Makeup

You know when you drop your make-up and it crumbles, you no longer need to throw it out. Add a few drops of alcohol to the powder and let it soak in. Press the powder in place using the back of a spoon. Let it dry for a day or two. No more loose powder.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

13 More Solutions

I rush through my mornings and have found several ways to save time on makeup application. The first is: Do not wear any. It's actually freeing. But if you do want to wear it, I have my makeup in a little drawer under the sink that is removable.

Cosmetics can be expensive and colors often look completely different after we get them home and actually apply them to our face. After many years of costly makeup mistakes, I learned some money-saving tips.

I know this isn't for everyone's skin type, but I added a hefty dash of cornstarch baby powder to my squat little wide-mouthed tub of mineral makeup to increase the amount and it worked!

With the price of so many things skyrocketing I have found myself looking for areas to cut costs. One of them is the cost of beauty supplies. When a decent anti-aging cream costs about $20 I want to get every last drop.

Crisco Shortening is an excellent moisturizer for the lips when combined with honey which has healing properties. I use the old containers of lip gloss, that have been cleaned out and washed.

When I was at the mall last night, I ended up in a department store and wandered around in the makeup section. I discovered you can get a free trial-size bottle of a new Lancome foundation ...

Instead of buying expensive face powder, I simply fill a small container with corn starch. It works well and gets rid of the shine!

Makeup foundation is so expensive. Much of the liquid clings to the side of the bottle. I use a Q-tip to get every ounce of makeup from the container. I do this with concealer too.

Q-tip for using all your foundation makeup.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Several years ago, I began buying Allure magazine in October when they do a thorough testing of all makeup products. For me, it saves money to choose a few new pieces that are well rated then waste money on items that don't really work.

When my powdered foundation compacts are almost all empty in the center but still have a little around the edges that are hard to get to, I've been sticking them in a drawer, not knowing what to do with them.

Does anyone know of a budget mineral makeup store online for e.g. sheer miracle, bare essentials, or other items that are just as good.

Sandy from Woodside, NY

Answers

By Laura Burgess (Guest Post)

Try www.mineralbasics.com. She makes her own but it's as good or (IMO) better than the "big name" mineral makeups. She also has some good lotions, soaps, etc., all homemade and all-natural. HTH!
Laura in TN

By octoberbabye (Guest Post)

On ebay many sellers offer small jars of the product. I bought a few to try them out and didn't spend as much as the special offer.

By pam333 (Guest Post)

I went to that online "store" and tried to order something. I filled out checkout 5 or 6 times and couldn't get through. Has anyone else tried? Maybe I did something wrong.
You can answer me at pamob38 (at) wmconnect (dot) com

By Serenity (Guest Post)

I order from skin-1. Free shipping on all their products. I'm not sure how to spell their web address. Number is 888-877-5461.

By judy (Guest Post)

I've ordered samples from http://www.Aromaleigh.com, and their prices on regular sizes are good.

By valerie2267 (Guest Post)

I have tried probably a dozen of the Bare Escentuals "knock-offs" and not met my expectations. They were alll too powdery and drying & not creamy and glowing like BE. The glow from the foundation goes away & is replaced by a different glow when the mineral veil is applied. That glow is what diffuses the light from the fine lines & zits & stuff so your face looks like porceline.

People say Bismut is bad,but it is not the chloride it is the oxychloride and happens to be the main ingredient in Proactive Acne Solution. I sleep in it & never looked better. My husband thought I had Botox or something expensive done & she showed me a better way for me to use the concealer the way my eyes are. it does not leave it shiny and oily looking and if you r skin gets dry, spray with skin REV-ER Upper or a knock off that is good and refreshing.

So I FINALLY found Minerals By Design. The girl is really sweet, but doesn't have the foundation, concealer and veil listed in store. It is offered in literature after buying Bare Escentuals starter kits,which are very cheap & high quality.

The brushes are worth the whole kit and she gives ample amounts---4-8 X's most and in her Minerals By Design, she gived full 30gr jars of foundation, veil and corrector in sifters which is more than be gives and about 15 grams of eye and or cheek color which would be like 30-40 jars of BE eye color that costs $14/ea. She gives that free and shipping is VERY reasonable. ypu can see some of her stuff on

ebaystores.com/mineralsbydesign

and then ask about the other line. She doesn't have a site yet just eBay, but has the cheapest prices I have seen. Even on BE: 2 PUMP DISPENSING POWDER/MINERAL BRUSHES FILLED WITH BE MINERALS FoR UNDER $50, but I bought the a lot cheaper with her liner. you can't tell the difference side-by-side! Surely she will list her own too soon since it is the closest to BE I have EVER seen! at least I know where to get it and everyone i meet does too! I have earned $50 in 2 months,althouh I spent $500 this xmas from her directly and probably got over $1000 in minerals & tools/accessories and "make your own kits" in several things. My kids had a blast with ther first order and they will love the xmas one even better! she is globear07 and email is globear69ATaol. She also gives free stuff and cash credit for referring people to her. She has been coming out with new products almost weekly and says she plans a whole face careline.Already has more than just the basic ol' mineral stuff and brushes are cheap and VERY high quality.
I am a repeat buyer for sure. She will save a sample of your mixture of foundation if you need to mix colors & mix it for you, will customize the SPF if you need more and can copy regular makeup into minerals. She has coycats of a lot of BE and the foundation color names stay the same to keep confusion down when changing over. That helped me A LOT. I have used BE for 3 years and never will again, unless it is free! LOL! but true! I was going to put a PIC from her store, but she may not appreciate that, although i could never see her mad!

How can I save on cosmetic basics such as eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick, without sacrificing quality?

By Mary P.

Answers

I have found the neatest site www.bigbigsavings.com. Alot of time they have free makeup. They also have alot of other free stuff to try. We have really recieved alot of nice things. You might want to try this site

Anonymous

I buy a lot of my cosmetics from Avon. They have great products and offer specials in every booklet. I've gotten eye shadow for as little as $1.99 and they often have buy-one-get-one-free offers.

Another suggestion is to pay attention to drugstore ads in your Sunday paper. Every week, stores like Rite Aid and CVS offer many coupons good for cosmetics and hair products, and they will also accept manufacturer's coupons on the same product. So if they have something on sale with their coupon for $1.99 and you have a manufacturer's coupon for $1.00, you get the product for $.99. Last week, they had hair color on sale for $4.99 and I had a $5.00 coupon - free hair color!!!
- Lynn in Virginia

Anonymous

There are several brands that are less expensive, but are still quality products. You really have to try different things to see what works for you. As for lipstick and facial powder (loose) you can extend their life! For the lipstick, you can dab the color onto your lips and use a lip balm or petroleum jelly to even it out. Or you can take a small amount of the lipstick (say that in the bottom of the tube) and mix it with a bit of petroleum jelly and apply with a lip brush. You can also buy a pack of lipsticks (usually 10 or 12 tubes) at a discount store for around $5, and mix different colors to get a shade that is right for you.

To extend the life of your loose powder, you can mix cornstarch or baby powder with it. (Obviously this works better on lighter complexions)
- Brandi

I check for coupons usually in the Sunday paper, they are usually good for a few months. Then watch the ads for my favorite drug store to have a sale.

Saving Money on Makeup

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Make Up TipsDecember 28, 2012
🐛
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Makeup-2.html